N reg Astra 1.4 Intermittant Fault

Hi

My sons astra 1.4 with single point injection has an intermittent fault in that it will cut out without warning and wont start again for 10-15 min. It will do this when hot or cold but always goes again after some time.

It has been suggested that the fault may lie in the ignition amp. Can anyone shed any light on this before I replace the amp?

Phill

Reply to
Phillip Taylor

This is the most common cause of cutting-out during the warm-up phase. This is due to an internal fault in the amplifier itself. I have also known the signal generator in the distributor to fail as well, but the amp is by far the most common cause of failure. The only way to diagnose for sure is to check for an output from the signal generator when the engine has cut out using an oscilloscope or LED test light (dont use a filament lamp test light as it can draw too much current and blow the signal gen.).

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

My old N reg Astra kept doing this every few weeks, although the engine management light would come on seconds before it cut out completely. We had it investigated several times and nobody could come up with a reason so we ended up selling it. Glad to be rid of it! Mel.

Reply to
Mel