Is My Turbo Working ?

It's not the fonts - it's the price of a printer that can produce small labels (e.g. to fit on a box containging a condenser), without having to waste an entire sheet, or have to re load it! We used them at Lucas Rists, but they were very, very expensive!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Your post made me wonder whether or not my 300Tdi was performing at its best, so I took a look around under the bonnet. I found a split in the hose exiting the turbo. I fitted a new hose yesterday and what a difference, it used to get a little wheezy at higher revs, now it just powers on. It used to pick up quite well before so I think the turbo was working, just not to full effect, with some of the boost escaping through the split. Well worth 12 quid that the hose cost.

On a related note the inside of the exit port of the turbo was coated in a black oily gunge, is this normal?

Reply to
Simon Barr

Seiko ELP200 or somesuch. Mine cost £150 and uses thermal labels from a roll.

Another alternative is to get an old dot matrix printer with a tractor feed and a set of Avery tractor labels and use the TT Font - the printer shouldn't set you back more than 30-40 quid on eBay. The labels feed one at a time.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

You'll get piss poor barcodes from a dot matrix printer and likely find it hard to get a cheap reader to read it reliably. Depends on lots of other factors (most of all barcode size), but I wouldn't ever sell one. I don't know how well the Lottery machine ones read - the quality looks awful to me but I've never passed a verifier over one.

'Proper' thermal printers with 200dpi resolution start for a few hundred quid and use roll fed labels. We mostly sell Zebra kit ('cos it doesn't often come back), but there are plenty of other people in the market.

Most of my sales are in the higher end, starting with Zebra Z4M-type printers and use thermal transfer rather than direct thermal. The advantage is much longer life and higher quality. If you want to print really small (circuit board labels and the like) you need to go to Datamatrix or RSS and use a 300 or 600 dpi printer. That starts to get very pricy but you can get loads of data into a couple of mm square, with redundancy to boot.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I was talking rather better than a Lottery machine. A 24 pin Dot Matrix (Say a Star NX100) in NLQ mode will lay down a pretty good barcode - the quality's up there with 200DPI thermal printers.

Dymo Label Writer 310 - £88. Claims 300DPI so should be reasonably good. The normal caveats about direct thermal printers and fading of course apply.

For a "cheap" thermal transfer printer the Citizen PN60 is still findable despite being discontinued for a while. It's piss slow and the ribbons are expensive, but it has impressive quality and can print to A4 label sheets quite easily.

It's a case of horses for courses. If you just want to do barcodes cheaply then there's a lot of choice well below the bottom end of the "Professional" market.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Turbos are the opposite of orgasms. With an orgasm, you're never really sure if you have one or not, until you have one, then you really know it. With turbos, it's sometimes difficult to be sure if you really have one, but you usually notice pretty quickly if you haven't.

On my 200tdi I could hear the turbo pretty easily with the passenger window down.

David

Reply to
David French

if you don't mind me asking but what had barcodes got to do with my f&^king turbo !!!!

Reply to
Chris Lord

Well Chris, some might say everything, if viewed from an inventory / manufacturing perspective.

The side track came about when I noticed Tim H's url, and asked about it. From there we diverted into the bar code issues. I guess you could say we multitasked on this question.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

1949 S1 1950 S1 1952 S1 x2 1977 S3 swb (with discs) 1995 300Tdi Discovery (with Zeus Timing Gears, and V.discs)
Reply to
Phillip Simpson