Is this possible?

Got Monty back from the garage today, runs sweet as a nut, but the cutting out every 6 or 7 seconds is still there. It's passed it's test. I have a thought about this. The chap mentioned it was blowing crankcase fumes into the dizzy. He thinks is possibly a worn piston on number 7 (low comp) The more I think about it, he said he took the cap off & there was pressure there. This missing could be caused by the whole dizzy getting pressurized & the cap lifting to release the fumes under pressure. Anyone think this is possible, if so, can I drill a vent hole in the cap or assembly?

The cap & rotor he took off where melted & really fumed up.

I'm not really bothered by the miss, I can drive around it, but the cap & rotor arm are gonna get fried again.

The crank vents are all clean too.

Any thoughts?

Ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Just a thought, are you sure it isn't the diaphram on the vacuum advance letting things into the dizzy?

Other than that, I see no reason why you shouldn't drill a small hole in the cap to let the fumes out, but when I consider how easily dizzys get water in them, it seems unlikely that it would seal well enough to keep the fumes in anyway.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Doesn't the shaft of the Dizzy have a small O ring to stop this ? Might just be the path of least resistance.

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

On or around Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:42:27 +0100, Megalowmania enlightened us thusly:

don't think so. The dizzy has a bearing at the bottom of the shaft. I'd have thought you'd need serious engine pressure or a very worn dizzy to do that.

mind, you've this problem with #7...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Aye, is that likely to be a worn piston or something like a problem valve etc?

Looks like I'm after a new engine at some point soon.

Them funny thing is, I tightened up all the belts last night as they where well slack. This morning, it didn't miss a beat on the 9 mile journey to work.

How odd.

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Redo the compression test, just in case the mechanic duffed up #7. I

*always* double check any low cylinders and often it's an erroneous reading.
Reply to
EMB

I'll get it sorted at the weekend. It's funny that there's not a lot of petrol in the tank. I'll fill it up to see if it re-appears.

I looked in the dizzy cap last night & it looked clean as a whistle, if it where blowing through, there would be some evidence even after 20-30 miles. He did refit the distributor, wonder if he reseated it &I its sealed it somehow?

Very strange

Nige

Reply to
Nige

The message from "Nige" contains these words:

Asuming from this snippet, we are talking V8, and all that messing with the distributor, then it's highly likely that the dizzy is now ever so slightly fecked, depending on year. at one time the whole gubbins was only held on by a nylon/ plastic ring at the top under the rotor arm instead of a circlip, hauling off the rotor arm caused this to come adrift. Official LR tech bulletin on subject says remove rotor by breaking with a hammer. After this comes adrift the centrifugal speed advance mechanism at the bottom comes adrift and the bits do not go quite down properly and the rotor sits too high in the cap. No repair kits or parts are available. Course they are not all like this, so best of luck. If plastic /nylon ring still there and O.K. then you can take dizzy apart and get it all back together properly; the way the centrifugal speed advance fits together is a real poser, and if you run messed up for too long one or more of the springs gets stretched and you wear a groove in the dizzy casing. The only experiences I have of this type is on 3.5 efi with lucas 4cu ecu. or 3.9 with lucas 14cux.

Reply to
Warwick Barnes