Oh Bugger me RRC is poorly

Just got back from the garage, the news isn't good for the engine at all. The mechanic found the inside of the distributor all blackened & burned. He tells me it's from the crankcase fumes. Anyone know what would cause this? some kind of filter blockage, I didn't have time to chit-chat with him & I'm off to see him tomorrow,. So I wouldn't mind a few opinions? He reckons the distributor cap was well mangled. Seems an unusual thing to happen. No wonder the thing had a misfire! He also found the distributor was a full one tooth out & was running so lean it put out less CO than a smart car!

He says it has bad compression on one cylinder. He is hopeful it's due to a worn camshaft & not piston rings etc.

He's managed to bring the HC level down & he reckons it will pass the test in the morning, which is good news, but that leaves a problem or two for the future. What will the problem be if I run it with low (25lb/foot) comp on one cylinder?

I reckon I could put a new camshaft in myself, but it's the setting up bit I might have problems with. Is it possible to put one in without losing settings? Or is the distributor fed direct from the cam?

Lee, can a Jag 4.2 fit in a RRC? Or anyone know the rough cost of DERV conversion? The good news is the rest of the cars is well OK he reckons.

Welcome to RR ownership. Thought it was going too well with the whole thing sorted for next to nowt!

Cheers

Nige

Reply to
Nige

The bits for mine came from Richard at beamends. He hangs about on here, and seems to be in the habit of doing what he says he will, when he says he will. He will also be able to tell you what you do and don't need and deliver it quickly.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Aw, shucks!

;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

So Austin Shackles was, like

Hehe. When I did mine, I asked the Mrs to get a large pot when she was shopping. (I've had the flak from the black fingerprints before.) For some reason, she decided to let me know she had been successful by emailing me the news at work. So all my colleagues saw the mail: "Hi darling (sort of thing) - I've got the large pot of Vaseline you asked for. Now I know how you'll be spending your weekend!" Just a tad embarrassing.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:12:54 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

prolly getting her own back for you nicking the one from the bathroom.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles wrote

No no - she just loves to embarrass me.