J reg Disco HELP!

Bought a J reg discovery 7 seater. got it part exchange so I only paid 200 quid for it. Thats the good part. The bad part is there is sommat wrong with it.

1) loud clunking noise coming form the gearbox area when changing gear. specially 1st 2nd or 3rd gear. 2) Really springy and rolls around... 3) Power isnt all there. Can someone recommend a good mechanic in the Norwich area ? And if possible a list of what needs doing. Its not smoking and it brakes ok. Steering is fine but noise from steering column when on full lock moving slowly. Thanks in advance ZoNeHeaD®

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1035 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

Gearbox will be knackered.

Dampers shot.

Engine shot. You dont say which engine?

See above & a million more jobs.

Could be quite a few things.

To be honest, it's fair to say it's going to cost you far more than it's worth. Especially as you arent doing the work yourself.

Have a look under the rear bumper & under the carpet in the boot. I'll bet it's shot to bits, if it is, it's scrap with all those problems. Unless you do all the work yourself etc.

You need to be more specific re engine etc.

Nige

Reply to
Nige

On or around Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:03:31 GMT, "ZoNeHeaD®" enlightened us thusly:

gearbox output shaft/T-box input gear splines are a favourite, but check for play and looseness in the rest of the transmission.

recon main box plus cross-drilled t-box gear, something around a grand, altogether - not much point in having a cheapo job done and unless the clutch looks very good get it changed at the same time.

They all do that sir... but new dampers are cheap and work wonders.

what engine?

TDis are sometimes turned down too much to make them clean, Other things to look at are condition of the intercooler (blocked with crud) and hoses (can be split or collapsed inside).

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's quite likely that's the splines on the gearbox mainshaft are worn, together with similar on the transfer box input gear. But, first ensure that the propshaft UJ's are in good order, the handbrake is not partially seized and that the axle bushes are are in good order. There's many a person changed their gearbox for the sake of a UJ!

Assuming this is your first Discovery, the best start is to make sure it's not just normal body roll - on early models it can seem quite alarming to newcomer. If it does turn out to be excessive softness, then the springs are probably "tired", and possibly the shock absorbers too.

As you say it's not smoking then the first step is to give it a good service - change the filters and oil. Also look at the condition of the rubber hoses inbetween the turbo and the intercooler. They can collpase internally when in use, restricting the air flow, and may have gone soft generally. Take them off and have a look down the insides and give them a squeeze - they shouldn't be solid, but they shouldn't be spongy either. Also check the condition of the pipes that connect to the turbo - even a small split will cause the turbo to not kick-in, giving low power with no other sysmptoms (i.e. as you describe it!).

I belive Alan Partridge is currently unemployed ;-)

Check the rear floor for corrosion - if it's starting to go get it fixed sooner rather than later, you'll save a fortune! Also check the front inner wings.

You don't describe the noise, but if it's a buzzing on full lock that's the steering box reminding you you are on full lock. If it's a tick-tick then a CV joint could be on the way out.

If it did cost you £200, and it's got a couple of years or more left in it, with the body and interior in good condition, then it owes you somewhere between £700 and £1200. If you fix it up you'll never get your money back, but if you intend keeping it for 2 or 3 years for yourself then you could do worse.

Richard

beamendsltd

Dunno about Norwich but there's TJC Landrovers near Swaffham and Overland Vehicle Services at Methwold on 01366 728119. Tell Graham at Overland I sent you, TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Wow alot to take in. Not wanting to replace a gearbox cos of a knakered UJ sticks out...some doom and gloom. But thanks for the details about who to goto. I knew I had a job on my hands when I bought her. Yes there is some rust on the n/s/r nside to backdoor in bottom left hand corner. and some rust both sides between the doors on the sides..dont look good. : ( input shaft mainshaft etc all noted and thanks once again.

ZoNeHeaD®

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1053 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®