Jaguar Rover Australia (JRA) 6x6 Long Range Patrol Vehicle (LRPV)

What is this vehicle? How tough is it? Can it do a better job than the Hummer?

R. David Steele

well, that is a 6x6 long-range patrol vehicle used by the SAS which are the elite soldiers of the Australian army, like the marines i guess. they are essentially a wider 6 wheeled LR defender with a 3.9 litre turbocharged isuzu truck engine (4bdi is the non-turbo, i think 4btdi is the turbo or something like that). i have never driven one but from the look of it it is a bit of a beast and looks fairly capable.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

The cab is a Landrover 110 with an Isuzu 3.9l diesel - I think its got a turbo fitted as well. The back end is a ladder frame with leaf spring suspension and independent drive to each axle. The rear axle is powered from the PTO flange on the back of the gearbox. They just flipped a standard axle over, plugged the breather and put a new one in on top. Initially there was a lot of problems with the rear axle setup as they scrubbed out tyres too quickly, but some sort of mods fixed it.

I would imagine that the 6x6 LRPVs are either in Iraq or Afghanistan at present seeing as the SAS is still there doing whatever it is that they do.

There are plenty of the 6x6s in the army - ambulances, 10 seater troop carriers with side facing seats, general support vehicles with tray tops, ammunition carriers, demountable bodies, etc etc. They are approaching 20 years in age now and will soon be replaced with a truck designed by a local company - has to accommodate a squad of soldiers, food, fuel, water, ammo, etc. for a one week period without resupply. Hopefully there will be a few ex army 6x6s coming onto the market soon as there was only a handful made for civilian use. I'll be taking orders - please form an orderly queue behind me.

Having seen Hummers trying to get off our local beach and not doing it very well - the Landies piss all over the Hummers - come to think of it even Toyotas piss all over them. I think the US Rangers have some 110 Land Rovers setup like the UK SAS vehicles. The other advantage is that the LRPVs dont need a fuel tanker on hand every five or six hours.

As an aside I heard this old chestnut brought up to date the other day.

When the British fired the Iraqis ducked When the Aussies fired the Iraqis ducked When the Yanks fired everyone ducked

Reply to
Roger Martin

The project to produce the LRs for the Australian army was the Perentie project. These are commonly called Perenties (BTW, a perentie is a large Australian lizard - second only in size to a Komodo Dragon - and they grow to about 2.5 metres long.). You'll note the front windscreens of the LRs are taller and the roofline is different.

See also

Regards

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

  1. 6x6 2tonne. This is an extensively modified 110. The chassis is special and is about a foot wider than the standard 110, as is the track. The third axle is driven by the PTO on the LT95 designed for the powered trailer on the 101. The prop shaft to it has a centre bearing on the top of the second axle, and the diff on the third axle is on the right. Diffs on the 6x6 are
4.7:1, and the two rear axles are Rover not Salisbury. Rear suspension is by interconnected leaf springs (standard S3) with the rocking beam connecting the springs allowing extreme articulation. Engine is the Isuzu 4BD1T (121BHP @ 3100), a turbocharged version of the engine fitted to the 4x4. The cab is wider and higher than on the 4x4. The major variants are:- a) The LRPV pictured in your reference. b) General Service, with cab and flat top tray having a canvas top and side seats. c) Ambulance

A 6x6 was sold to the civilian market in very limited quantities in the mid eighties. This was generally similar to the military version except that it had a standard width chassis and standard cab. It came only as cab/chassis, and although most had a tray body, I have seen at least one van body. All diesel 110s sold in Australia before the introduction of the Defender had the Isuzu engines, n/a in the 4x4 and the turbo in the 6x6. The 6x6 was available only with the diesel, although 4x4s were also sold as v8s.

For further information do a search on "perentie" JD

Reply to
JD