Kenlowe Fans

Driving my 1989 90TD for a couple of hours or so at 60 mph on the motorway in hot weather puts the temperature gauge needle up just short of or even just touching the red but chugging around tracks in cold weather never seems to get the needle even half way

Is a Kenlowe the answer?

Reply to
Julian Pollard

ZoNeHeaD®

Natural passage of air and a working fan should keep it as cool as a cucumber at 60.

Although a Kenlow may compensate for a nackered viscous fan they aren't the be all and end all. Going to make bugger all difference to economy (and what you do save is so minute I'll bet it doesn't cover the cost of the kit!).

Only positive in my eyes is reduced noise... but forget that on a TD as it's unlikely to make much difference. Finally the ability to shut the fan off when wading... but then again as it's a TD it doesn't matter if it gets splashed unlike the v8's.

Get someone to use a gasket sniffer to check if the head gasket has gone.. otherwise I'd look at pump impellers, rad crudded and thermostat with the last first as it's cheapest followed by the gasket sniffer.

Lee

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Julian Pollard writes

My money would be spent on a radiator re-core if your current viscous fan is working OK. you really cant get a better cooling fan than an engine driven one.

Reply to
Marc Draper

to be honest, if you're temp is creeping up its more than likely the radiator. loads more air passes through the radiator at 60 mph than it will do with the fan. I ran my old series without a fan for years and the temp only started creeping up once in traffic. A kenlowe will only really help if you are doing lots of heavy towng for example where the engine is working really hard at slow speed. I reckon check your radiator / back flush / and maybe budget for a new one. I found that the fins on my rad on the old 90 crumbled away to nothing as soon as you touched them. Hopefully backflushing will cure it though so a nice and cheap fix!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Interesting from everyone and thank you

I did change the thermostat and ran (from a reasonable distance) my power wash over the radiator and also flushed the radiator with one of those proprietary brands

Sounds like a radiator/core job - but how much?!?!? I can live with it but am I just inviting trouble and if so how do I tell?

Reply to
Julian Pollard

i found that to get all the shit of my old radiator you need to back flush for bloody ages. I think that a radiator reconditioner(?) will be able to test it for you. If it was me, i'd invest in a new one!

Reply to
Dave R

No. Whatever the ins and outs of Kenlowes, the vehicle has a cooling system problem that needs fixing! From the symptoms I'd start by looking closely at the back of the radiator for mising vanes.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Rad is silted. Replace.