Land Rover: Poor Quality & Worse Than Daewoo?

JD Power's determined LR is just about the very worse vehicle (least durable) one could purchase. Isn't this supposed to be the exact
opposite? Considering the $$$$...you wanna know your SUV is better than more than just a Kia Sportage for crissakes! Lovely...
...."But Volkswagen and its Audi division continued to have quality problems: Volkswagen was among the five worst brands in the industry, among 37 ranked. Ford's Volvo and Land Rover divisions also performed below average, with Land Rover ranking behind the beleaguered Daewoo brand and better only than Kia, made by the Korean automaker Hyundai. According to the study, Kia made the two least durable vehicles: the Sportage sport utility and the Sephia sedan, which has been discontinued..."
http://www.nytimes.com/ads/MC_popup2.htm

LOL, Daywoo have been in the motor market for 2 years or so, Landrover since the 1950s. What kind of disrespect would have them put them in the same sentence :)
Now... who is the better band out of Pink Floyd and Coldplay?
on09/07/2003 1:55 pm, Spozza at snipped-for-privacy@false.email wrote:

Don't like either of them.
--
Nikki

1990 Discovery V8i

Fair point. heres another. Since when did Daywooo make offroaders?????

Errr since they bought SangYong in 98 ???
Cheers
Bill

Coldplay and Daewoo have been building cars since 1972 and using the Daewoo name since 1983. They've been sold in the UK since 1994. Mind you I still prefer my Series III to any Daewoo
Cheers
Bill
Are you sure they said durablility and not build quality? LR are famous for poor tolerances, but how many Kia sportages will you see driving across the dessert on 30 years time with no oil in the gearbox???

http://www.autonews.com/files/jdpnameplate2003.ppt
They definitely characterize LR as pretty much the least durable auto maker (other than Kia). In other words...you have more problems with LR than w/any other auto maker and they make it a point to state LR's are more problem plagued than even Daewoo vehicles. Ouch!....
On 9 Jul 2003 12:34:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Andrew) wrote:

Right then, off to buy a Daewoo!
alt.fan.daewoo anyone?
Tim Hobbs
http://www.seriesii.co.uk http://www.101ambulance.net

Awwwww.....My IIa's 39 years old and I've just got it running nice. Can't I keep it a lickle bit longer ?
PLLLLeeeaaasseee!!
Lee.
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:34:22 +0100, "Lee_D"
wrote:

No, it's crap and not durable. Go and buy a Daewoo now!
Tim Hobbs
http://www.seriesii.co.uk http://www.101ambulance.net
made me spill my meths by writing:

. . . DOH!
--
Wayne Davies - Mobile 07932 081776 - Harrogate, N.Yorks, UK

DAVIES PAY ATTENTION!...it's 4.2litre ...repeat after me . 4.2 4.2 4.2 4.2
;-)
Lee D
-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @ www.lrproject.com 101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90
alt.fan.landrover hall of fame - http://lobster.dynip.com/afl/index.htm
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:03:29 +0100, "Lee_D"
wrote:

Only 4.2? Why didn't you fit a 6.75 from a Roller?
Alex

The 50 spending money Mrs D gave me wouldn't strech to the Roller but did buy the 4.2 Engine, 3 Speed box , radiator, oil cooler and all the bits that make an engine go brum.
However...I may be looking to put something a little more substantial in the 101 so if you see one in the small adds for anything under 100 then bear me in mind.
I jest not. Bargains are there to be had....you've just got to bide your time.... I've got 2.50 towards the paint job..
:-)
Lee
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:44:35 +0100, "Lee_D"
wrote:

No chance. Rolls v8's don't go for that sort of money, something to do with them being unburstable.
Alex

Didn't stop the water pump on mine depositing the entire contents of the cooling system across some of Suffolk's finest tarmac a few weeks back :-(
Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Total crap. I can burst, or bust any engine given time ;-)

Hmm. I know for a fact that the later 6.75 Twin turbo was regularly bench tested during development at full throttle for 24hrs continuous running. Somewhere I have a picture of it, the exhaust manifold is glowing white hot......
Alex

Is that all?
I used to dream of having a cool manifold like that...
Actually, I'll let Mr D take over from there - he's got white hot nuts to go with it :-)