Last day in work......spent in a Land Rover

After two years of buggering about in boats i'm off to pastures new, as one final slog i've got to drive as far as junct 13 on the M4 to pick up a trailer and then drive all the way home to Pembrokeshire.

I usually try and do something "landyish" on the way, eg, when going to Birmingham boat show, stop at Solihull, or the Heritage museum, or some kind of Landy garage ( 3x John Craddock in the last 9 months!)

So, as a final journey, where can I call in tomorrow which isn't too far off the beaten track but will be of interest to me? Suggestions please before 7am tomorrow!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

|| After two years of buggering about in boats i'm off to pastures new, || as one final slog i've got to drive as far as junct 13 on the M4 to || pick up a trailer and then drive all the way home to Pembrokeshire. || || I usually try and do something "landyish" on the way, eg, when going || to Birmingham boat show, stop at Solihull, or the Heritage museum, || or some kind of Landy garage ( 3x John Craddock in the last 9 || months!) || || So, as a final journey, where can I call in tomorrow which isn't too || far off the beaten track but will be of interest to me? Suggestions || please before 7am tomorrow! || || Dave

Good luck with the new pastures, and - er - don't do anything silly on the motorway. We wouldn't want to get caught, would we?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

No, how bad would that be. It'll be strictly adhered to speed limits all the way!

I've got a week off before I start training so I'm going to chill out as much as I can.

By the way, do you know how to get a good polish on boots, I have tried and failed.....

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

but ignoring the magic references before you start give them a good coating and leave them somewhere warm overnight to get a good base doesn't help the shine but improves the waterproofing by getting wax deep into the grainDerek

Reply to
Derek

Rule No. 1 - only use Kiwi polish Rule No. 2 - use soft brushes to apply the polish and buff it off - but not the same brush Rule No. 3 - use Kiwi Parade Gloss as the top coat

Alternatively, become an Officer and have some poor sod do it for you :-)

Not that I ever did that, of course :-))

Reply to
SteveG

I've used and tried all of the above. I;m thinking that I might just have to reapply several times before I start getting a shine on them. I have no patience for such things!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

I've used and tried all of the above. I;m thinking that I might just have to reapply several times before I start getting a shine on them. I have no patience for such things!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

If you seriously want a shine, I know how! If you're off work all week I'll give you a ring.

Involves heat source and tools. You'll love it.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Richard Brookman uttered summat worrerz funny about:

H'mmm me think this sounds of the dark side becconing :-)

Right, go buy some "Parade gloss" Thats what it says on the tin and any decent shoe shop will have it... not yer trendy types perhaphs but decent shoe shops

One brush for on... one brush for off.. do 'em as normal.. load it on then buff it off.

Now get lid of parade gloss tin and a few drops of water init

Get one of those yellow dusters.... the really soft ones... damp it at the end... then start going over said shoe in very minute circular motions... If it starts to drag minute dab of polish and water and off you go again. After a few blisters (on new shoes) you will begin to get a shine that affords a mirror finish on black. Works best on parade shoes of course available at you local quartermasters store , Dr Martyns can be shined up but a permenant black marker is advised for the yellow laces around the edge... we even used to tyre black the edge of the soles (as they are that transparent brown) worked a treat it did.

Wild guess but do not.... I repeat NOT put polish on to Public order boots especially prior to an Exercise or Riot (A crystal ball is helpful!)... burns great and boots with no laces are not alot of use for kicking stuff in, like doors and stuff.

Maybe I'm way off the mark... do stock brokers get fanatical about boot polish these days? Contact me off group if I'm up the right tree. I have freinds in far off dark side southern welsh places.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Talking of boots and polish and stuff ....

Anyone know of a substance that will effectively remove the shiny protective layer so that I can apply a leather dye?

Reply to
William Tasso

Cheers lee

You have mail.

My brother thoughtfully brought me a pair of his Fire Brigade DM shoes ( unused), great thought I, until i spotted "MID AND WEST WALES FIRE BRIGADE" embossed round the heel. Thoughts of attacking them with the angle grinder were quickly put to oneside and he had them back. I might have to bite the bullet and buy some!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Tea machine coffee. Always took the polish off my shoes whenever I split some on them.

Reply to
GbH

That takes me back a very long way Carbon Tetrachloride but I doubt very much nanny will allow anybody to buy that these days so failing that Carburettor cleaner should do the business ( if not guess how to use it up ) If you can get hold of it Tuxan leather polish has a dye in the formula handy if you just want to darken the leather a few shades

Derek

Reply to
Derek