LDV ENGINE

Low oil pressure but only when its been running for 20 mins..Green light flickers and engine idle drops very low.

I was wondering if its the Oil pump inside the engine .. Ive done Oil and filter change and replaced the sender unit..

I was told i can change the Oil pump from underneath without taking out the engine.

The engine i have, however is a 2.5 D n/a from a freight rover.

Does anyone know where i can find documentation for this engine?

--

Jason Hall

I'd be looking at a set of main and big end bearing shells too - they are either the cause of the problem, or have probably been damaged by the lack of oil pressure.

Reply to
EMB

The LDV is not too different from the landrover 2.5D n/a, so a manual for the landrover 2.5D (as in early 90's), should help you.

I think that the only differences between the LDV and LR units are the flywheel/starter and the timing cover. Most of the bits in my LDV 2.5 actually say landrover on them (like the crank)

(see this thread -

Tom Woods

Hi Jason,

I'd be tempted to check the idle speed first, the pressure will drop quite low if the engine is idling too low. Note that low oil pressure will not ordinarily cause the idle speed to go down.

Could also be a faulty sender switch, try getting the pressure checked with a guage at normal idle.

My 2.5 engine is currently awaiting new hotspots to be fitted in the head, otherwise I could tell you what the oil pressure should be on a slightly worn sherpa engine.

Just for interest, what oil grade have you used?

Terry

Reply to
terry

I have 15w40 Oil in atm..

Is this the correct grade?

Jason Hall

Reply to
Jason Hall

Hi Jason,

Not sure what the 'correct' grade would be, but I use Castrol GTX in my

2.5 n/a. She runs about 15-20 psi pressure at idle according to the dash mounted guage, fully warmed up after a long run, and about 55-60 at cruising speed.

I would imagine that 15w40 should be fine.

Terry

Reply to
terry