Lidl specials may be of interest.

Post on another NG prompted me to look and.....

Saw these available in store now and wondered if they may be of interest to some on here.

Other offers coming soon on 9/9 are Hiking boots at £12.99 (and outdoor boots at £4.99) and a digital compass at £14.99. as well as some outdoor type clothing.
Worth a look if there's a store nearby.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

The Lidl walkie talkies are very good, my bro has a set. Great range and just the same 2.4GHz technology as the £60+ ones that you see in outdoor shops. "In stores now" is a little optimistic for Lidl, it's usually the case that they are available on Thursday morning then all get grabbed. David

Reply to
DavidM

David, I'm confused by this -

Are they not PMR 446's ? Where does 2.4GHz come in, if they are 13cm sets I'll be in the front of the queue :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave H

My understanding is that the Lidl walkie-talkies opperate on the same 2.4ghz digital frequencies as products such as wi-fi, bluetooth, DECT cordless phones and video senders. PMR 446 looks to be a different system all together, and one that I have no experience of at all.

David -- ------- # | | :===[==¬|====; [/ \|___|_/ \| \_/ \_/ DavidM djm81NOSPAMatcam.ac.uk

Reply to
DavidM

I guess they are.

And you will find me right behind you :) The only 13cm FM radio I have ever heard of is some Kenwood 1Watt FM mobile transceiver. I even considered developing a handheld dualbander 1W FM, 23/13cm, based on chips used for mobile phones, this should be possible without greater trouble.

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

8 channels and selective calling codes could be anything, but the 3km maximum range quoted doesn't sound like wi-fi/bluetooth frequency and power limits.

It might be some othe frequency band than PMR446, it just doesn't say on the poster I saw.

Now, the hand-held telescope is nice -- the angle of view is a bit narrow, and it isn't a night-glass, but a good clear image.

Reply to
David G. Bell

In article , David G. Bell writes

Indeed. The power limit for ETS 300 328 (For 2.4GHz RLANs) is only 100mW erp.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I don't think they will be 2.4 GHz as you need a licence for that band, if as mentioned below this message they are 8 Channels & 38 CTCSS codes then I'm afraid they will be PMR446 radios. But none the less someone has achieved comms from Tyneside (I think) to Holland on PMR446's :) That's not bad !.

Dave

Reply to
Dave H

Alas I cant go on that band yet, just a lowly M3, but one day I want to have a damn good play on the GHz stuff.

Dave

Reply to
Dave H

2.4GHz is actually license exempt, however the type approval for kit on that band limits you to 100mW in the UK.

They will almost definitely be PMR446 radios.

They're not as bad as some people make out. I use them on convoy runs and for a 15-20 car convoy they've got decent range.

Of course I've got a Midland 78 rigged on the dash and normally carry a Eurosonic 2001 handset both on 27MHz for when I need some decent range.

I spent large chunks of Saturday night talking to peeps 35+ miles away, although I had a direct line of site, being around 800' up.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Seen the set of spanners on the 13/9 offers?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

In article , Dave H writes

No you don't, as long as the equipment complies with ETS 300 328 (which it has to, to use that band!) and bears the CE mark.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The're metric.

This is the Land Rover newsgroup.

The problem is left as an exercise for the reader...

Reply to
David G. Bell

My Defender is mostly metric, just the odd imperial jobby thrown in to make things awkward for me as I'm all geared up for metric. It took me a while to track down a half inch socket recently too, no one locally seems to stock any imperial tools, no demand apparently.

Reply to
Simon Barr

"David G. Bell" vaguely muttered something like ...

My Disco is mostly metric, a few Imperial and a few 'specials' ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Wouldn't catch me buying cheap shit spanners anyway, imperial or nbot. I'm not taking my knuckles off when they split open on a tough nut. Go out and spend a decent amount on spanners, that way they last and don't break.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Quite so. I have an 'OK' full set of sockets and am gradually building a fair collection of quality spanners and ratchets. I quite like the Halfords Pro range (easy to get hold of on a Sunday afternoon!). I do like Snap-On tools, but sadly haven't made my first million yet.

Aside from the much better strength, good spanners tend to use better materials and therefore can be made with slimmer shafts and heads - meaning you can get them into some places that crap spanners won't fit.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:32:01 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

I have actually managed to break a Britool ring spanner. However, I broke it by subjecting ti to such extreme degrees of abuse that I didn't have the nerve to write and complain about it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Must say, that's unusual. Britool used to have a lifetime gauarantee on thier tools. Certainly I'd trust my dad's old set to the ends of the earth. You really must have been abusing it. Let me guess, you put a 6ft length of scaf pole over it and jumped up and down?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:50:43 GMT, Alex enlightened us thusly:

nah, pounding on the other end with a 10-lb sledge.

it was that or drive 15 miles to get a 13mm 12-point socket - course, once I'd broken the spanner, I had to drive etc. anyway, buggrit.

whichever damfool decided that putting undersized 12-point heads on a bolt which would more-normally have a 19mm head needs shooting.

Reply to
Austin Shackles