Lidl specials may be of interest.

Yup - them an Snap-On. I've broken a Snap-on screwdriver, which has "Do not use as a pry bar" written on it. I was chatting to the rep (who replaced it, BTW) about how good a pry bar it was at the time...

The only other socket set I rate is the King Dick that's been kicking around the cab in Grumble for a good number of years.

Reply to
Mother

I'm not convinced by snapon. I've seen thier products wear out or break too many times. I suppose it's alright for trade, where your local friendly snap-on rep calls regularly to replace anything you might have broken, but it'd rather have tools that don't break in the first place.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Really? Had always coveted their stuff as reputation suggests it is pretty much the ultimate.

Tend to buy Facom at work, very nice quality but better priced than Snap-on.

David

Reply to
rads

It's good gear, and they replace any that breaks without any difficult questions (like "How long was the scaffold pipe on the spanner?") but unless you use it every day you can't justify the price. My work tools (a mixture of Britool, Snap-On, Facom and S-K) are worth about the same as a new Disco and the gear at home about the same again.

If I was starting out tomorrow I'd buy Snap-On spanners and ratchets, Chicago Pneumatic air tools and S-K everything else.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Wed, 08 Sep 2004 11:09:53 +0100, rads enlightened us thusly:

Facom of course now own Britool...

most of the snap-on stuff I've seen looks pretty good, I have to say, and the bunch at the local garage rate 'em, though of course they don't pay for 'em. Actually, I'm not sure that's true - the mechanics each have their own toolbox, which generally no-one else uses except by invitation; it's possible that they buy their own tools and are paid sufficient to be able to do this.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not many companies pay for the tools that's why they don't take too kindly to lending them out some companies do give a tool allowance but it's not much Also a lot of companies won't insure the tools either the reason most mechanics use 'expensive' snap on is the guarantee I've had quite a bit replaced free and the quality, a 24mm spanner is

24mm not somewhere between 23 and 25mm and the fact that the snap on man calls every week and you can pay weekly

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley