Loctite equivalents?

Wotcher all, not strictly landy, but I have a need for "loctite 636" and/or "loctite 307", I don't know what they are but they appear to be metal glues or threadlock/nutlock. Does anyone know what they are, what their equivalents are or whether they're likely to be nutlock or studlock? I can find almost no information on them, particularly strength, so don't know if they're supposed to lock nuts or studs.

Cheers to anyone with a 30-year-old loctite catalogue ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:25:39 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

what for?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

According to Google they seem both equivalent to HASA 711 from Hernon Industries.

Reply to
GbH

I should be able to find something at work tomorrow.

Reply to
Dougal

Not in the 20 year old catalogue I'm afraid.

Loctite tends to come in series.

6?? are cylindrical retainers (bearings on shafts etc). 638 is the current high strength retainer. 3?? are structural adhesives, bomding flat things together. Nothing 30? in current range though.

What are you up to?

HTH

David

Reply to
rads

"Spring bolt -- axle journal"

"Steering bolt sleeve -- front wheel drive housing"

That's all the info I have ;-)

I can't even find the effing parts mentioned, the part numbers given don't exist and their descriptions don't match anything I can find...

I believe they are high strength threadlocks, that's the assumption under which I'm progressing, but these two are low priority given that the bits they are used on don't appear to exist... Bloody krautwagon. I've found the up-to-date equivalents of all the other loctites I'm likely to need.

I can recommend Buck and Hickman for this kind of thing BTW, they've been more helpful than most other sites;

Ian Rawlings

Yep, I saw that one, it was one of the things that lead me to believe they were both more or less equivalent and are high-strength threadlocks or bearing fixers. I was trying to find something from loctite that matched, normally they phase one out and introduce an equivalent.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Thanks!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Apparently according to

are both the same and are "Loctite SpeedBonder 307/636"the equivalent by "hernon" is Hernon HASA 711hope this is off some help GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Thanks for that, useful info, I'll investigate further.

Rebuilding bits of pinzgauer, the front differential housing tore, manufacturing defect from the look of it, the casing only looks a few years old too.

The back of the manual has a 33-year-old list of loctite products that are required and where they are needed, I needed about four of them immediately so decided to try and track them all down at once. The two that I can't find aren't ones I need right now but I'll bet I'll need them in a hurry on a sunday at some point.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yep, spotted that one, cheers. I spent a few hours googling and was surprised that I couldn't find much that was really concrete.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Not seen that one listed but it must set *really* hard then?? ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I had a sense of foreboding when I typed that, I didn't think I'd be disappointed! Perhaps I've been sniffing too much loctite.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

IIRC the 3xx series are bonding agents whilst the 6xx series are retaining compounds.

307 is still listed/described here
The best I can offer you on 636 is that a retired engineer mate of mine says that from memory it was a medium strength retaining compound and that he'd use 609 in it's place.

http://68.72.74.108/PRODUCTS/609.htm

Reply to
EMB

Cheers for all of that, I'll check out the links tomorrow.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yes, 6xx series definitely retaining compound. Is it the green coloured stuff? 'cos if it is and you get it wrong you'll have a hell of a job to get it off again.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

The 609 I mentioned is not too tough - it's closer to a 'bearing fit' type of compound than a retaining compound. It's never too much trouble to remove (famous last words).

Reply to
EMB

He he... You said it!

Martin

Reply to
Oily

The Genuine Parts thread lock is Loctite 243, which has "threadlock" and "nutlock" on the pot. Loctite do have site with all the specs on...... sowewhere. I think it may be on the Henkel site (they own all these sorts of companies it seems).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yep, but if the part in question was recommended to have 243 on it, they'd have said so in the manual, there's a big list of other parts that need 243 and the parts in question are explicitly not in that list. The various loctites have some quite important differences, e.g. different strengths, different gap tolerances, temperature ranges etc etc but I don't know how important these are in this situation. It would help enormously if I knew what the parts were in the first place ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings