Loctite equivalents?

On or around Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:47:29 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

I'd tend to assume from experience that more or less any threadlock will do. My experience of things that the "book" says should be loctited is that for the most part they don't come undone in normal use. Such things as brake caliper bolts etc., which I've replaced in the past without thread lock, have never come undone again.

There are a few occasions where the loctite is also providing a seal, where a bolt goes into a water jacket on an engine, for example.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That's my hope, although considering that I can't track down the bloody parts it's supposed to be applied to, I'm still not sure that it's a threadlock or bearing lock situation! I'm baffled as to where these bits are, their descriptions don't match anything on the truck at all, and neither do the part numbers.

Thankfully the most important bits are all sorted though, just these two obscure ones remain.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

OK - here it is. This follows a discussion with Loctite UK.

Loctite 307

A high strength structural adhesive used for bonding flat, uncoated metallic surfaces. Normally used with an activator/primer.

Today's nearest - Loctite 326 used with Activator 7649(Activator N).

Loctite 636

This is a bit 'grey' still. The product was never used in the UK and no datasheet has been found yet (still hopeful, however). Strongly believed to be an early version of 638 with possibly a slightly longer cure time. It's a high strength retaining compound.

Today's nearest - Loctite 638. If a longer cure time is needed (very unlikely) use Loctite 640.

I've got a copy of the 307 datasheet as an Acrobat file. Unfortunately its from a scan and is 1.7MB. The others I mention later are tiny in comparison.

If you want that, Ian, or those for the suggestions from the current range I can send them to you. Is that e-mail address usable?

Reply to
Dougal

Bleedin' marvellous, thanks muchly kind sir.

The datasheets would be useful if you have the time to send them on, just hit "reply to", I don't use invalid spamtraps, I just chuck the email address after a year. If it's the slightest bit of hassle for you though then please don't bother, you've been enough help already.

Thanks again! I'll file this away into my facts file.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings