London to Singapore in an S I Landy

Old news but still a great listen

SINGAPORE OVERLAND Fifty years ago travelling overland from England to Singapore was a journey waiting to happen. Nowadays, because of the political situations in the countries in between, it is a trip that can no longer be done. But two expeditions did complete the journey in the nineteen fifties, one from London to Singapore in Land Rovers and, a couple of years later, a second in a Jeep in the other direction.

Roy Follows and Pat Murphy, members of each expedition talk to Shyama Perera about the difficulties and dangers of the travelling through bandit country, driving heavy vehicles over bridges designed for donkeys and through the already virtually closed country of Burma.

Roger

More than 2. My late mother and 2 other women did the trip in a S2 at the end of the 50's, followed by a boat trip to Australia, a good look around the GABA (Great Australian Bugger All... the red bit int middle of the continent) and then on to NZ. And I'm fairly certain there was another group (of Pommie lads) did it shortly afterwards in a 2a as well.

Reply to
EMB

And here was me thinking that it was called the GAFA, which is similarly red and hasn't got a lot in it either.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

With my obvious interest in 'First Overland', I wish I'd heard this. Unfortunately, the lack of broadband in this neck of the woods - we don't even have DRAINS here at the farm! - it's not practical to download it from the Beeb.

If anyone has it recorded, and could perhaps let me have it on CD, I would very much appreciate it. Contact me off list.

GRAEME ALDOUS snipped-for-privacy@teeafit.co.uk

Reply to
Teeafit