congestion charge in London for 4x4's

I have just seen on the news that the 2012 Olympics are already over budget by 40% and I was wondering if there is any correlation between that deficit and the incoming charge on 4x4's? LOL.

Reply to
Cyberwraith

Cyberwraith uttered summat worrerz funny about:

WTF wants to go to London anyway!

Wait till the flood barrier is breached... be a different kettle of fish then.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

They will blame us for that as well.

Reply to
Larry

On or around Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:01:16 GMT, "Cyberwraith" enlightened us thusly:

Just got to put a word in here: it's NOT a charge on 4x4s, that's the gutter press who are on one about 4x4s 'cos it sells papers.

it's a higher charge for all band G vehicles. Which, IIRC, includes some of the sod-off fast mondeos and many other non-4x4 cars. While it also includes such as the touareg and cayenne and big rangies, there are a raft of 4x4s NOT in band G.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

IIRC 4x4s are in the minority, figures on band G were something like

130 vehicles, 24 of which were 4x4s.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

We get a thinly disguised piece of Mayor Kens propaganda called "The Londoner" shoved through our letter box.

Under the headline of "Your idea for curbing pollution" I was pleased and surprised to see Mr Fadahunsi had written "Instead of increasing taxes on 4x4s"

This seemed a very strange place to find a pro-4x4 voice, so I read on with intrigue.

Disappointing then that the writer followed up with "why not just ban them altogether?"

David

Reply to
rads

I was talking tongue in cheek, hence the LOL. Makes you wonder though is this a way to assist in funding the Olympics? hehe

Reply to
Cyberwraith

Fiat Panda 4x4 owners are going love him!

Why do the phrases "haven't thought this through" and "shouldn't be in public office" coupled with "pratt" spring to mind?

Why not write to him and suggest that he states in writing that Porches should be banned - I'll bet that would improve his career prospects!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Can't be - both Ken and Smiling Tony have assured us (note: not promised) that no public funds will be needed. Except for all the road "improvements", moving of utlities. Bus route changes. Trains. Somewhere for the politicians to hob-nob. Boxer Prescott's Jags. Remember the Dome anyone?

Why don't the IOC just build and wonderful complex at Olympia (the Greek one), and hold the US Corporate Games, sorry Olympics, there every time, instead of wasting several hospitals worth of money every 4 years. Can't be anything to do with making money, surely. And put the games on Sky, so we can see how poular they really are when we've got a choice of viewing. [1]

Richard

[1] viewing figures are based on what you had on on your telly, not whether you actually *wanted* to watch it.
Reply to
beamendsltd

I was watching the news last night a reporter was doing a piece to camera right outside number 10 ( denied to non official traffic) with a Range Rover driving past slowly behind her must be difficult to justify unless Downing St is now officially regarded as challenging or could it just be that politicos are hypocritical? surely not? One thing that rankles how can Red Ken still call it a congestion charge if he is now to exempt certain classes of car which no doubt will flood into the city choking the roads - unless of course they don't actually exist in the real world ? maybe he should take out the middle bit i.e. "gestion"

Derek

not giving a crap is a privilege of age

Reply to
Derek

On or around Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:29:26 GMT, "Cyberwraith" enlightened us thusly:

Oh, it might be. I was just making the point that misinformation is easy to pass on even by mistake.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No assault, insult, malicious intent was taken, hehe. I seriously do wonder though how long before 4x4's or gas guzzlers are banned.......except for the politicians, their families, friends etc etc. In ancient China they had a similar system where only the Hoi Polloi could use the roads without charge, or hindrance. The common folk had to get off the road at the approach of the VIP's and pay to use the roads etc. I wonder when the revolution will begin??? :)

Reply to
Cyberwraith

"Cyberwraith" wrote after

Well first they took out a lane on the M4 that we had all paid for saying it's for the use of commercial Buses/Coaches and Taxis (and politicians in chauffeur driven cars). Then they charge us to drive into London on roads we have all paid for and destroy many a small business in the process so that commercial buses/coaches and taxis (and politicians in chauffeur driven cars) and company vehicles that pass on the charge to all of us can drive without hindrance. Then they increase the price and extend the zone to take in Hospitals that people in the S. of England have to use if they are seriously ill. So presumably I would now be expected to travel on public transport if I seriously mashed my finger as I did a couple of years ago? Or just pay the Congestion charge on top of the hospitals £15 parking charge?

The whole thing stinks of corruption and graft to me and is just another Tax on all of the country after it's passed on.

Because Red Ken (joke!) isn't getting anywhere near the revenue he expected he now has the bright idea to charge extra for thirsty vehicles, pleasing the "greens", and in the knowledge that a lot of the bosses/Directors etc in their Co vehicles, who drive such vehicles like RR Sports, X5s, big Mercs etc, will still drive them in 'cause they pass on the charge through their company to all of us, the consumers.

Don't think it doesn't affect you 'cause you don't live near/in London, everyone will pay this charge on most everything they buy. Then, if it does raise lots of revenue, it will come to a road near you soon.

Reply to
Bob Hobden