LPG Guru's

Right seems the colder weather has me filling the Disco with petrol much more often. The heater seems to kick in ok so not suspecting the thermostat just yet.

When I last had the system tuned I noted it was set to trip over to LPG at

1600 rpm and 40 deg's C on the coolant. It's a Bigas sequential injection system on a 1997 3.9 Disco V8.

Whats the lowest sensible temp to adjust the switch over too?

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

On or around Tue, 6 Feb 2007 23:35:00 -0000, "Dr_D" enlightened us thusly:

I've had more basic systems running "switch at idle" and also running LPG from stone cold. Propane will vapourise at temperatures above -37 deg.C although I imagine you'd get problems before that. It's effing cold here this morning, -10 on the solar collector on the roof. I don't anticipate any problems firing the LPG disco and having it switch over on startup.

suck it and see, I'd say. it'll take several minutes at least for the coolant to get to 40 when it's -10 out. Personally, I'd set the temp thing as low as it'll go - The only problems I've ever had are vapouriser freezing at low temps but that's caused by a lack of anti-freeze, not the coldness per se.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My car still starts fine in the cold after a bit of cranking! :) I've not put any juice in it since i went to france last year and i only did that just incase i couldnt find a GPL garage when i needed one and becasue it was cheap! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Most SGI systems will not allow changeover until 2 separate conditions are met, all to do with being emissions compliant!

  1. Engine runing for a certain time, normally a minimum of 25 or 30 secs, to allow Lambda probes to reach operating temp.
  2. Engine reached a certain temp, usually adjustable from 20-odd degrees upwards. My disco II is set to 30 secs and 25 degrees, changes over about half a mile from cold start at -5 degrees c., within 200yds in the middle of summer. Obviously, this uses more petrol in the winter as it is running on petrol when it's "on choke". Badger. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

Cheers Badger, I was hoping you'd cast your eye over this one. I'll take it in to the local place and ask them if they can tweak it for me. Should I experience any difference? Such as lumpy tickover or would it be prettymuch unoticable? Our system has two vaporisors installed, I'm guessing that this will work in favour of the lower temp... but it's a guess.

Lee D

Reply to
Dr_D

if it's set up correctly it'll be just fine - as long as the lambda is up to temp. Badger.

Reply to
Badger