LPG on Discovery

I know we've done the merits of LPG economics and ecologics to death recently, but on a more technical level...

What's involved in fitting a dual-tank LPG kit to my Discovery? I seem to have just bought one... I'm hoping Warren will sort it in a day - sound reasonable?

Coming to the economics, I reckon it will pay for itself in 6000 miles assuming the pricing doesn't shoot up tomorrow.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I assume you mean dual underslung chassis tanks? Mine are attached by large adjustable straps which fix to chassis brackets. Obviously you've then got the filler which is usually fitted in the lower panel below the petrol filler, then you've got the pipes and the mixer under the bonnet plus a couple of little black boxes and an insert between the plenum and the air filter pipe, depending on the make of system.

It doesn't matter if the price of lpg goes up as long as it doesn't go up more than petrol proportionally speaking!

Reply to
Exit

On or around Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:25:51 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

has he done one before?

I'd reckon 2 days for something I'd not seen before. A day should do with past experience of what causes hassle.

'course, you may have hidden advantages of already-done mountings for tanks etc., if it came off a RR then the chassis is very similar. Dunno what you've got apart from the basic kit. Half the hassle with underslung tanks is in pissing around making brackets.

Which I must have done a good job on with my side tank, despite some quite serious scraping on the scenery, it's still there.

sounds good. You may have decent prices for fuel around you. Morrisons supermarkets were very good recently, cheaper than I can buy here 1000 litres at a time.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:59:48 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

it probably will, though you're right to say that the gap in price is the most relevant thing. what will probably happen is that the gap will diminish in real terms over the next x years - partly depends on who's in charge...

hmmm. something else to ask prospective MPs if they come canvassing... "What's your position on LPG duty?"

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As part of my business i deal with some well-known oil companies. They can weald huge pressure on the govt. when they need to and the govt. assured them that the LPG differential would remain for a long time and that it would be worth their while spending millions installing LPG pumps on their forecourts. They will be very unhappy if this turns out not to be true. . . . . . ;-)

Reply to
Exit

I suspect (without any factual foundation) that the profit margin on LPG is substantially better than it is on petrol / diesel as

a) there isn't as much local competition (fewer LPG stations) b) consumers are already saving, so perhaps not so price driven

Once the capex of the pumps is recovered the oil companies will have a cash cow (in relative terms). Which they will be happy about and Gordon Brown will not.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

As several oil companies contribute to Nu Labour funds, they should both be happy. . . . . . .

Reply to
Exit

On or around Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:32:10 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

quite. It's not really about my (or Tim's) investment, they don;t give a stuff if we lose out.

I gather that a simple 1-pump standalone installation runs around 10 grand, going up to 20 or more if you want a pump on the island alongside the others

- I bet it's more still on a big site, with a larger tank or multiple tanks.

that sort of investment, especially if you're someone like BP and have committed to installing 200 of them nationwide, or such, is non-trivial.

I doubt they can make much as much as 10p/litre on the sale of fuel, either, once the overheads are taken into account and all the duty/vat paid to the government.

I know that the independent garages only make about 3p on petrol and diesel, I doubt it's that much better for gas. The percentage margin will be a bit better, thanks to the lower price, but it's pennies not percentages which pay off your investment.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Good show!

Are you collecting it from the IOW? ;-)

He's not going to be booking many overseas holidays on that...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Although it may sound a lot to you or I, it's a mere drop in the ocean to an oil company. One of the major players recently shell'd out

195,000 on a luxury Corporate junket to Australia for the Rugby...

... for 20 'guests'.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I thought you'd confiscated his passport. If not, why not?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Shell'd. Very good....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:51:48 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

aye. missed that, I assumed it was a typo.

Reply to
Austin Shackles