Price guide for LPG Conversion for 2000 Discovery

Can someone give me an idea of the cost for fitting LPG to our 2000 Discovery? And, we would like to keep the rear seats.

Reply to
Nikki

If you look around Billing you will find plenty of secondhand kit for sale. I did my 95 with a £250 kit (underslung tanks), plus about the same again to Warren for fitting. For a 2000 you might want to look at a more advanced setup though.

Chris Perfect is a good man to talk to on this subject, although I think he mostly caters for carbs - he may now be doing EFI systems as well.

However, to get it running properly you need to make sure the engine is in good shape. Budget for some ignition upgrades to make it run well.

Diesel is now exactly three times the price of LPG at the local station, so it's more attractive than ever!

You could always just send it to Warren....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

It has to be an SGI installation, due to the complexities of the motronic management system it simply won't be reliable on a vapour-mix setup - probably pushing the ecu into limp mode very quickly. Because you want to keep the 7 seat option, it's gonna cost you big style, as you need a new auxilliary petrol tank due to the gas tanks going where your petrol tank is just now. I'd hazard a guesstimate of around £1850?? Mine is going to cost around £1450, with a tank in the boot. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In message , Badger writes

Used to fit Impco systems on these - no problems, but that was b4 SGI systems were really sorted. I would agree with you that that is the way to go now.

Reply to
hugh

Hi Hugh, were you fitting the Impco systems to Gems ECU engines or the Motronic ones? Some of the early Disco2's were Gems, as were the P38's for quite a while. Just curious, as I was led to believe that you just can't get a successful result on Motronic with anything other than SGI due to the ecu's control circuitry for short and long term fuel trim causing out-of-parameter default to limp-mode, which utilises a base timing and injection map, losing a lot of performance even on gas?? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

in article snipped-for-privacy@raefell.demon.co.uk, hugh at hugh@[127.0.0.1] wrote on 11/7/05 3:43 pm:

Both quotes I got this afternoon have been for £1800 + VAT.

Reply to
Nikki

in article snipped-for-privacy@raefell.demon.co.uk, hugh at hugh@[127.0.0.1] wrote on 11/7/05 3:43 pm:

Questions from Bruce.... So the gas tanks don't go under the sills like on the older Discovery then? Is this because of the air suspension? How many do they fit in place of the petrol tank? Also can you have the air suspension removed and replaced with a more traditional method?

Nikki

Reply to
Nikki

Nope.

Yep, and ACE if fitted.

2 tanks, 40ltr each, AFAIK

Yep, normal springs and shocks (and spring seats) from a non-air model, but keep the ACE, it works! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In message , Nikki writes

Sounds about right for an SGI system, bearing in mind that was the going rate for comparable venturi systems 3 or 4 years ago. Lot of work involved swopping your tanks around, plus of course the extra petrol tank, say £150 mild steel, £250 stainless.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Badger writes

It's a few years ago now, but to the best of my memory, we did Motronics also, but don't quote me. The advice we had was that they were actually less trouble than Gems. However, you should know to treat any "can't do's or must do's" in the autogas industry with the greatest of suspicion. But I personally wouldn't consider anything other than SGI now for a modern efi engine. In fact I came very close to swapping over the Impco system on my V8 4.0 litre Land Rover when I had a tick-over problem. Managed to get a service kit for the OHG vaporiser which fixed it (perished diaphragm) so I stuck with it.

Reply to
hugh

in article snipped-for-privacy@raefell.demon.co.uk, hugh at hugh@[127.0.0.1] wrote on 12/7/05 10:28 am:

Did you fit the LPG system yet? How did you get on?

Well we're going to go ahead and get it done. It's alot of money, but if we keep this Discovery for as long as we've had the last one(nearly 9 years) it'll pay for itself. It's the VAT that Bruce will hate having to pay!

Nikki

Reply to
Nikki

In message , Nikki writes

Petrol is generally well over twice the price of LPG at the moment, so any sort of mileage and you'll soon recoup the cost.

Reply to
hugh