LT77 gearbox leak

I have found the source of the river that flows from my gearbox. If you look up past the High/low selector pushrod towards to front of the main gearbox lookings backwards (Still there or confused?). There is what appears to be a large (25MMish dia) blanking plug with what maybe an allen key hole in it. What is this plug, Is it mystical in its function or can I just remove it and bung some thread sealant round it and hope for the best, once I've worked out how to get an allen key to it. Any ideas

Reply to
Tony

Ooher. Is it the filler/level plug?

TonyB