Series 2a Gearbox Problem

Ok, so I managed to get my newly purchased S2a through its MOT with only minor work, and I thought I was ready for a bit of gentle off roading.

On its first trip out it performed very well and I thought all was OK.... Until I decided that I'd had enough and tried to drive home. As soon as I put the Landy back in to high range and got on to the road I noticed a clonking noise coming from the gear box direction. I stopped and checked to see if any damage was evident - none, checked the oil levels in the gear and transfer box - OK. The funny thing is that the noise still occurs when moving but out of gear, and yet it is coming from the gear box area (but I suppose that the rear wheels still turn the gear box when its out of gear). I managed to limp the 5 miles home driving very gingerly because the noise definitely increased with the revs.

Has anyone got any good suggestions for what could have gone wrong? Possibly some stripped teeth?

Thanks

Reply to
Mike

Three things jump to mind - the first is that you've chipped a tooth on the rear diff, and it's only evident in high 4x2 drive - that sounds a bit odd, but it has happened to me. The second, possibly more likely, is that is the transfer box is not going "completely" into high range - I've had this too. If you can't get it to sort itself out by "working" the linkage, there's a cover on the front of the transfer box that, when removed, reveals the selector shafts - you should be able to see them reciprocate when moving the red lever. Sometimes things get a bit gummed up, and some oil and more working of the red lever will most often sort things out. The third option is a collapsed UJ in a prop shaft - easy to fix but makes some rather scary noises, and can be easily missed if the props are checked with the wheels on the ground.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Check the hand brake is not binding, this used to happen every time I went off road in my series the shoes get clogged up with mud and stick on and this causes much weirdness in the transmission department... Icky

Reply to
icky

Thanks for the ideas guys, I've got a few options there to keep me busy! I'll let u know how i get on.

Reply to
Mike

Has anyone got any good schematic diagrams or 'cutaway' pictures of the series 2 gearbox and transfer box?

Reply to
Mike

Parts book?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Yes - I can do bits from the workshop manual.

Is that e-mail address valid?

Reply to
Dougal

Good ones in the Workshop manual - the they are almost identical to the Series 1, and the transfer case is almost identical to Series 3. If you don't have the manual, there are some you can download it - Series 3 is on landroverweb.com, Series 1 gearbox section

I'm sure a bit of a search would find Series 2.JD

Reply to
JD

For a cutaway or schematic the workshop manual is better - both have exploded diagrams,but this may not be the best for understanding how it works. The workshop manual also has explanatory diagrams. JD JD

Reply to
JD

Ah excellent. I wasn't quite sure how similar the parts were when comparing the S2a to the S3, I have a copy of the Repair and Operation Manual for the S3, but I'll check out the S1 on the site you suggest. Thanks!

Reply to
Mike

Do you want my extract from the II/IIa mnaual?

Reply to
Dougal

That would be Ace! I've booked myself some time off work to take a proper look at it later this week. Its not really a 'working in the dark' after work job.

Reply to
Mike

Do I need to adjust that e-mail address?

Reply to
Dougal

nope its; snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Mike

Dougal,

Those first 3-4 diagrams are exactly what I was after! Thanks a lot, it will make my life much easier.

Having just re-read your earlier posting I now realise you were offering to send me this earlier, but I mis-understood what you'd written. Apologies!

Reply to
Mike

Nothing to beat a good sectional view is there. No need for apologies

- I wasn't here over the weekend so even if you had responded initially nothing would have happened any quicker.

Reply to
Dougal

If i were to accidentally drop a selector spring in to the open top of the gear box, and couldn't find it, are there any magic tricks to help make it re-materialise on the outside of the gear box??

Its really annoying, because I'm not 100% sure it fell in to the gear box, but i certainly cant find it else where. I was hoping it would fall down in to the sump where i could fish it out from underneath, but no such luck!

The gear box is still attached at the moment, and was rather hoping to keep it that way.

Any bright ideas to help out a complete muppet (me) greatfully received.

Reply to
Mike

On or around 12 Dec 2006 06:47:39 -0800, "Mike" enlightened us thusly:

ah. my plan is rather scuppered then, which is to drain the oil, put about

2 pints of paraffin in the box, slosh it around some and then turn it upside down.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

If you remove the drain plug with a bowl underneath you will probably find it will come out with the oil as the inside of the gearbox casing slopes down towards the drain plug hole. If not stick your finger in there and see if you can feel it as it will be close enough unless it has lodged higher up, in which case you will probably be able to see it from the top and either poke it down or hook it out with a piece of thin wire. Or try rocking the handbrake drum gently with the box in gear and the handbrake off or jack up and rock one back wheel and try again with the clutch pedal wedged down against the seatbase with a suitable length of 3"x2", that should dislodge it. Then just replace the plug and refill with oil.

Martin

Reply to
Oily