Lucas part numbers

I've got a Lucas component (which I think is a resistor) that dates back to the seventies.

Marked on it is: 4BR and 47224A.

Does anyone recognise this part from series Landrovers perhaps, or maybe know of a good website to check? Google hasn't been much help other than to suggest that the BR bit may refer to ballast resistor.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

have you checked it with an ohm meter? Does not have the figures of a resistor

Reply to
user

The Genuine Parts balast resistro has 47222E on it, basicaly a white ceramic block with a sort of cage round it.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I'm fairly familiar with those white ceramic block things wired into the ignition circuit. This one of mine just looks like a blade of metal (about

2"*1/2") with Lucar connectors at each end. It lives in the dash lighting circuit (on my 73 Interceptor III) and is close to a rheostat. I can't confirm it's exact role, I'm trying to remove various electrical gremlins from the thing at the mo! Interestingly, that part number seems very close to mine - suggesting that they are from a similar family of parts?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Not a bi-metallic strip is it?, a lot of general motors stuff used those as a sort of a make and break fuse, something switching on and off indicated a short circuit IIRC.

Martin

Reply to
Oily