Oil pressure switch location

Hi all, just found this group and it looks great. The location where google finds the faq didn't seem to be responding, but I don't think this will be in it anyway, even though it feels like kind of a dumb question.

I have a Lightweight with a Rangy V8 in it (sacrilege, some might say, but I didn't do it). Anyway, it has a remote oil filter kit to stop the filter being demolished by the front diff, and the pump cover part of this kit seems to be a bit iffy. So my first key question is

should the oil pressure light switch and gauge sender be before or after the oil filter? I'd have thought it should be after and a few sites about mechanics in general have implied that too. It also looks like it's after on new and rather different 4litre+ RR V8s. But on my pump cover it's before the filter. Unfortunately I don't have a proper Rover cover and filter housing to look at.

Also, just to double check- can anyone think of a good reason to have a small hole (perhaps 1.5mm) between the filter send and return galleries? I'd think it's too small to be useful for anything but just big enough to bleed off some of what little oil pressure there is at idle, and judging by the uncleaned burr on the back end I suspect it's a pilot hole that was drilled too deep. At GBP100 I'm not desperate to replace the cover, so I've put a self tapping screw in with thread lock to seal it up, If anyone thinks the hole should be there please let me know before I put it all back together!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give

Chris

Reply to
Chris