What is the difference between a 200 Tdi and a 300 Tdi?

No it's not a joke, but a genuine question, can someone tell me please.

Regards Tony

Reply to
Tony

More expensive parts ;)

Reply to
Tim Jones

300Tdi - one serpentine belt at front of engine, connecting alt, aircon, water pump etc 200Tdi - separate belts for all above.

There are also differences with the thermostat housing and other bits and bobs, but these need pics. A Google search may well turn up something useful.

Reply to
Rich B

To add to the replies - the 300 is an "improved version" - lots of mostly minor differences that really only matter when looking for parts. The distinguishing feature easiest to recognise is the serpentine belt on the

300. 200 is noisier, and the 300 had issues (should be fixed by now) with the cam belt tensioner, and late ones had electronic injection control I believe. But really very little to choose, except that all the 200s are older than all the 300s, and most of them have done more kms. JD
Reply to
JD

Apart from the obvious - I think they have different engine mounts. I used to have a 110 TD and was told a 200 Tdi would go straight in and a 300 Tdi would need the engine mounting points changing (welding was implied). This was from a company that used to install Japanese diesel engines in LRs, so they should know what they were talking about (well, maybe).

I have heard the 200 Tdi is the better engine - but have no evidence to back that up. Maybe it was more reliable.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

I thought it was emissions control, just exhaust gas recirculation stuff?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

... and search the very recent history on this group.

Reply to
Dougal

Tony uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Is it just me? surely it's 100 Tdi's ?

;-)

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

No! - 100 Tdis

Pedant mode!

Dougal

On or around Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:24:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (Tim Jones) enlightened us thusly:

especially the vacuum pump.

seriously... not a lot.

Most obvious is the serpentine poly-V drive belt running the ancillaries rather then a bunch of V-belts.

300s tend to have a plastic cover over the engine, but that can be missing. Possibly different injectors, BICBW.

different vacuum pump, more prone to fail and more expensive.

on some 300s it has electronic fuel control. Late autos, ISTR.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:56:59 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

nah, they had an electronic-control pump, I think only on late autos.

they all have EGR of some sort.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

OK, I saw some electronic diagrams for the 300TDi in which there was an electronic thingumajig under the driver's seat, supposedly just for EGR control. I didn't pay much attention, mine's a mechanical engine, not computerised.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yes, 200 has same engine mount locations as engines back at least to Series

2, 300 has different locations, I think same as TD5. As to which is better

- probably not much in it, but the 200 seems to feature less in tales of woe. JD

Reply to
JD

Dougal uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Is there one in Arse's ?

;-)

Reply to
Dr_D

I think the blocks are different the 200 has that ladder frame spacer thing between the sump and block iirc it was to "stiffen" the block

Reply to
icky

Not if it's plural, only if someone is labelled as such. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

As in, "The Land Rover hit the Arse's Nissan Micra"?

Reply to
Rich B

Yep, the pilot that hit it right up the arse. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily