lurching? Can you help?

Hi folks, I really don't know how to describe this, lurching, doesn't exactly cover it but its the best I can do. I run a '98 300TDi Auto. It's fine forwards, well as fine as a 300TDi can be, but when reversing it exhibits a rhythmic lurching, rather like a binding brake maybe, but if that was it I'd expect to experience it in the forward gears too, and it seems too frequent for that. At a guess I'd say about prop shaft rotation speed. Do I have a nerfed universal? Or is it something much more expensive. Had it once before on another vehicle and never found out what it was there either, remember that V12 Jag engined Series III on fleabay, 5.2l IIRC, well I bought it and it did it too also drank petrol like it had a hole in its bucket! 15miles =

20l! Managed to sell it on, thankfully.
Reply to
GbH

Could be either the transmission brake or a goosed UJ. We discussed this only a few weeks ago - well, back in July. Subject was 'What's broken? "Sticky" reversing in RRC' if you want to go looking for it.

The transmission brake could be over-adjusted, shoes incorrectly fitted etc.. Easily checked.

Propshaft UJs are also candidates. You may also have the rubber 'doughnut' coupling at the rear end of the propshaft in place of a conventional UJ. Easily checked.

Among the expensive possibilities - the viscous coupling in the transfer box, which I think you will have, is a candidate. Don't consider this high on the list of possibilities: I think you'll find your solution in the simpler areas.

Reply to
Dougal

Think I have the conventional diff lock so that'll rule out the viscious coupling. This has only recently become noticable so I doubt it's the hand/transmission brake. Don't think it has the rubber donut either, but there ICBW. Looks like nerfed u/js are most likely candidate, time for a trip to my domesticated/tame independent for diagnosis and fix if it's not too dear!

Reply to
GbH

You're not sure? Time to find out.

That's a bit defeatist. Crawl underneath and have a look - it's high time that you learnt what the underside looks like!

Reply to
Dougal

Regretably my current physical condition negates such undercrawling, I could probably get under there but getting out again, could be a bit debatable. In my misspent youth, which largely accounts for my current physique, I spent an inordinate amount of time under vehicles of one sort or another. I can assure you I know what the underside of my Disco looks like and it's not a pretty sight! The patent Land Rover chassis preservation system is working well but doesn't really reach all the parts. Most faulting things can be indicated if not fully diagnosed without resorting to subchassis crawling.

Oh I DO HAVE a conventional difflock, my typo, sorry.

Reply to
GbH

I finally realised that we were talking about a Disco which never got the viscous coupling. The RRC had it c1995. By 1998 the RRC was no longer with us and I don't know if the rubber doughnut, also on the RRC, was shared with the Disco.

Sorry to hear that you're no longer fully fit for undercrawling. Those of us who can still make it should be thankful despite the misery that it causes.

Reply to
Dougal

300 Disco has the donut ... Many off-roaders swap them for the 200 rear prop, UJ and diff input as they do go pretty frequently when pushed.
Reply to
Paul - xxx

No matter, Dougal, pretty much all down to my mispent yuff, so my own fault, shouldn't complain, awfully frustrating though!

Reply to
GbH

Sounds even more likely then!

Reply to
GbH

Check all the wheel nuts are tight. Had similar on a VW Beetle years back and thought the gearbox was about to let go.

Turned out to be some very slack nuts.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I had similar on my 330tdi auto discovery, just last week, we had put it on the rolling road at the local MOT to see what state the brakes were in, and immediately the tester (who knows LRs very well) said "you got a sticky handbrake", as the system was showing a binding at more wheel rotation freq (ie at prop roatation speed), sure enough if I let the lr roll in neutral at slow speeds it could be felt very easily. Was sticky handbrake shoes caused by oil from the output shaft. Only by backing off the adjuster a long way would it go away, now fixed with new shoes and new oil seal. It only happend going forward, no lurching in reverse, must be the way the shoes are mounted. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Got my tame? independent to give it a quick check out, U/Js OK, diff lock OK, couple of notches off the handbrake and it now seems fine. See how it performs on cold start, was always worse first thing, but I think that's got it! Why it only showed up in reverse? Anyones's guess.

Reply to
GbH