300tdi Auxiliary Belt Shredded

Hmm, as in title, driving along and heard the tell-tale slap of rubber against metal (ooo-err) and the aux belt on my 300tdi Disco has partly shredded. Can't understand why as it was in good condition. Any ideas?

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Now and again they wear out...

Reply to
William Black

Water pump bearing collapse pulls the pulley forward at an angle ripping it to bits.

Triple check it, as it can be fatal

Reply to
Nige

Something doesn't quite look right, the belt doesn't seem to be running evenly across all the pulleys (ie nearer to the edge on some, particularly a large pulley low down).

Will take it in to SP as no time to sort myself as it's hopefully getting some action this weekend!

Reply to
Andy Cooke

If it regularly sees action then it could be crud in the water you wade. I had this with the 110 after a trip to KORC off road centre. Wading streams never provided a problem apart from the odd squished rare specimen of scientific interest (apparently!). Once a belt has a nick in it it will soon shred its self.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Check the power steering pump pulley, it moves forward (or rather the shaft moves forward out of the pump) and slowly shreds the belt, new pump needed if this is the case. Mine did this 6 months ago. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Mine went the same as Andrews. With the belt off I could move the power steering pump pulley in and out of the pump body. New pump I'm afraid. Think I paid about =A380 for a new pump (pattern) and it's a pretty easy change.

Colin

Colin Reed

I had exactly the same problem. Turned out to be the water pump spindle slipping out of the bearing as above. The pulley was sitting forward and the belt was out of alignment. I didn't figure it out until the spindle fell out and the belt shredded. Replacement water pump and new belt fixed it.

Davy M.

Reply to
DavyMurray

It happened to me... about 2000 kms from home... (300Tdi 'fender)

...and it was a *new* water pump (< 2 months old) too.

Weirdest bit... belt jumped 'track', slicing a perfect strip of belt off. Elegant, but still not nice :)

Check belts... if slightest doubt... replace, IMO. I now replace belts at half the recommended, and carry a full set of belts (and a water pump) onboard as a precautionary measure. Probably should have done this anyway, of course.

Reply to
asdf

Check Alternator too, also that bar steward belt tensioner!

Dave B

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter

On or around Mon, 4 Oct 2010 17:27:28 +0100, "Andy Cooke" enlightened us thusly:

I've known an alternator sieze solid on one of those.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well someone guessed right, the power steering pump is goosed and the spindle has come right forward.

New pump and belt being fitted tomorrow!

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Get the water pump- done at same time matey.

Reply to
Nige

Any particular reason or is it just a labour saver?

Reply to
Andy Cooke

They are shit, they go all the time & you might as well for £35, get the gasket & new bolts too, also change the tensioner.

Reply to
Nige