M&E trailer brakes

I have a large trailer in need of some brake parts and the only identification I can find so far is that the hubs have M&E cast into the ends. A web search has so far drawn a blank, I wonder if anyone can help me identify them from this? Greg

Reply to
Greg

Have a look also for markings on the brake backplate - usually on the inner face so is visible without dismantling.

Could you put up some photographs somewhere?

Do you know who made the trailer? Other than the usual big names you're likely to come across brake/suspension units from Indespension:

Dougal

I think I can do better:

Some of their brakes are Knott:

Dougal

On or around Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:01:05 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

Handy. Last one I got was Peak, ISTR.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Dougal, it would be a heck of a coincidence if they were not the makers!, but there present range bears no resemblance to mine so I think they must be a very old design. I'll try and get some pictures and maybe uncover some markings under the grime.

To try and describe the problem, the brake lever coming out of the back plate is a piece of flat steel with a hole through it, and a solid brake rod is connected with a clevis and pin. One of these levers has failed at the hole and on the other side the pin has failed. The pin I can replace but the lever is another thing. Greg

Reply to
Greg

I think that you can be pretty sure that all the brake parts 'downstream' of the rods will be from a brake manufacturer rather than M+E. Have you looked for any M+E identifiers stamped on the chassis? (I'm assuming that if there was a plate that you'd have seen it!) - they could be a shortcut to finding out what M+E used for the brakes.

Knott do (at least in 1982-ish) stamp their backplates which should aid identification. Measure drum diameter and shoe width when you get the opportunity: that can help, too.

Reply to
Dougal