Manby Show

Bit of a let-down and I hope not how other Landrover shows are run.

At first looked large enough and well laid out, indeed the caravanning/camping park was excellent with loads of space and well-markled and marshalled pitches upon arrival and all looked well.

When we went for a walk it was a tad deceptive, long runwau lined with trade stands so looked like plenty to see, but in fact they had loads of space between stalls, loads of clubs etc etc and whilst it was a nice hour, maybe two, there wasn't enough to last a weekend and we came home early this morning.

Off-road course was reasonable with easy and extreme sections, very little in-between, and in some places was very confusing to get round. It was even harder to get off it, there were no direction signs for exit and it smacked, to us, of unprofessionalism and as we were told 'you weren't here last year then' of a club that we hadn't been invited to. If you didn't know where you were going then no-one was around to help and when you did find a marshall the first thing they said EVERY TIME was 'weren't you here last year'.!! Very unco-operative.

Whilst on the subject of marshalls we were (I'd say horrified but that's a bit too much) surprised to see them mostly breaking all the rules they were supposed to be up-holding, speed limits etc. We even saw one 'family' of marshalls driving round with kids on the roof-rack ... for over an hour, including on the off-road track! ... and these are the same people 'scrutinising' the vehicles going onto the course. Not a good thing, IMHO.

Having said that we still enjoyed ourselves, bent my steering guard big-style on an extreme section (I NEED a sussie lift desperately) and bust the near-side headlight adjuster somehow .. gaffer tape rules!

Good points were ... er ... Little Landrovers for the kids, the Monster Disco, the auto-jumble though that seemed to only be about three stalls, and the Mud Run ... but again, it was well over an hour late and there was little to no organisation or announcements as to what was happening, no timetable of events or directions ... so again unless you'd been before and knew where to go or at what time you either came late, missed something, or were in the wrong place!

Overall we wouldn't do Manby again unless it was with a gang of AFL'rs or A N Other club where we could make it into a meeting of mates as well as a show ... ;)

Looking forward, however, to doing Driffield and Billing next year, and any other shows we find or get the fancy to try.

Some pics and videos to follow ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

IME there's no other reason to go unless one is a dyed-in-t'wool enthusiast.

Having spent all w/e friggin about with ponies, children & fireplace assemblies (in no particular order) I think, on balance, you had the better diary.

Reply to
William Tasso

Cheer up, you did better than me. My weekend consisted of either being stuck inside at home due to inclement weather (hail, thunder and torrential rain), or being stuck at work terminating 120 new data circuits for a client (and finding that I had a nice supply of brand new faulty patch panels).

Reply to
EMB

Still sounds better than mine. A wood burning stove tipped and trapped my leg between it and the side of the trailer, glancing blow down the side of the shin coming to rest on the top of my ankle. Nothing broken but some very nasty bruising and swelling and an ankle that really doesn't want to work anymore. B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice