Moral dilemma

What does the group think? A couple of nights ago I was approached by a guiy in a supermarket car park wanting to know if I wanted any bits for the Landy. He said he and a mate had loads of stuff available. I said I might be interested in a overdrive, and he said he could supply one for 150 notes. I asked if the gear was all legit and he went all shifty and said does it matter. I said it might do and he said "well, none of its got any numbers on, what's the problem".

Given that stealing landies to sell for spares is big business, and knowing how we all love our landies, what do I do? I will not buy anything off the guy as it is clearly all stoledn stuff, but do I just forget it or do I tell the police? I have his name and mobile number and approximate location, and a description of his scruffy 110 but not rthe reg number.

Instinct says to shop him, but the last time I reported anything to the boys in blue I was made to feel that I had wasted their time and they sure wasted mine before they let me go. Swore then never to get involved again - sort out my own problems and leave other people's to themselves to sort. Mind, that was a long time ago now.

Ideas guys?

Reply to
davepseudonym

If you had had your motor stolen, and found that someone had had the chance to do something about it, but didn't because they couldn't be bothered, how would you have felt.

Shop the thieving lowlife.

David

Reply to
rads

Abso-bleeding-lutely.

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Here, Here!

Reply to
SteveG

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com came up with the following;:

No brainer, shop the bastard, before he nicks yours to sell as bits to someone else ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Look at it this way. We all know people (even on this here group, and on forums like difflock) that had their motors nicked.

If things take a right turn maybe some of our mates get some of their stuff back. At the very least you'll keep them from nickin'our motors for a few days.

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

Shop! Shop! Shop!

Give as much information as accurately as possible and give it in writing.

Reply to
PDannyD

Tell the police what you know, wherupon you have done all you reasonably can to combat landy thieving bastids. If the police don't care it matters not, if the police do nothing, it matters not. you have done your bit. Put the info in a letter as concise as you like and sent it anonymously if you don't want them to waste your time, at least they will have all the info you have.

If the guy comes looking for the person who 'shopped' him, you are hardly the only person he will have approached, this is his work, his business, he probalby tries to make sales every day of the week.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

PS. What would you want ME to do if he was trying to sell me YOUR overdrive?

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

personally involved, but it gets things done. having lost one landrover never to be seen again, the only way to stop it is for everyone to do their bit and report it.

Reply to
troy

Ok, OK, OK.... I get the message!

As I said, my instinct says to shop him. I did have a very bad time one night when I reported another driver to the police (2am on motorway, spotted a guy reversing 1 mile high speed on opp carriage way a week after a couple had been killed in a car by someone doing the same thing). The cops took us (self & wife) to a hut just off the mway, took a statement and kept us until about 5am while they drank coffee in the next room before they let us go with a sneer that said "don't wake us up on the night shift, sonny". I still support the police, but sometimes they make it hard for you.

Will visit mr plod on the way home tonight.

Thanks for the moral outrage, guys :-) Just the nudge I needed.

DaveP

Reply to
davepseudonym

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I'm afraid that is par for the course, but at least you get to sleep at night.

I was called as a witness in a court case. The court forgot to unlock the witness room and forgot to turn on the heating when they did so, so for several days I spent my time sitting on the stairs in the cold! Then the bastard got off. But at least I felt I'd done my bit. And, yes, I felt the police et alia could have done a lot more. But that's life.

As a good citizen, I now carry a camera in the car and am careful to record all details when things look suspicious. At least that way, I won't spend so long shivering in the cold when next I am called as a witness!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Good idea. I had a camera in the car the day my wife had a prang and the photos proved invaluable in the insurance claim to prove road positions etc. However, I'm not sure I would have wanted to start snapping this guy and his vehicle after he approached me. I might have ended up as spare parts, never mind the Landy.

:-)

DaveP

Reply to
davepseudonym

There is no dilemma - shop him or walk away. If you perceive the situation as a dilemma you have to think long and hard as to why... I'm not being sanctimonious (I hope) I just think that dealing with thieves (of all sorts) encourages 'em ;-)

Reply to
DNS

so DNS was, like...

Not sure I understand what you say. "Shop him OR walk away" is a dilemma, the choice that Dave wasn't sure how to make. "Dealing with thieves encourages 'em" - is there a word missing here? Or have I missed the point?

Anyway, Dave has shopped him now. We'll wait and see if there is any result.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

My point is that some people wouldn't be 'brave' enough to shop the thieves, so they should walk away. If you are able to report them then that's great; however I know some people who would never deal with the police, but who are scrupulously honest... My point is that buying stolen parts encourages the thieving in the first place; you're creating a demand which thieves will fill by stealing stuff. Hope I've explained myself clearly ;-)

Reply to
DNS

Where? Where?

ITYM Hear! Hear!