More from Youtube (OT)

This Youtube invention is addictive.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Considering three people died I'd hope it was the former. That was caused by the computers which assumed that as the flaps were in landing position, the gear was down and the altitude matched a landing manoeuvre, the pilot wished to land. When he opend the throttles at the end of the flypast the computer ignored it!

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

|| On 2006-10-05 20:17:22 +0100, "Richard Brookman" || said: || ||| This Youtube invention is addictive. ||| |||

You mean the latter?

Fair enough - from the soundtrack I though it was a fully-automated test flight. People dying's never funny.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

You just made that up.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Thanks for that Richard, as a nervous flyer I shouldn't have watched it. I fly to the Land of Pantelis again on Sunday. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Nope,

He was spot on.

The pilot over-rode the computer and applied power to the engines manually, but by the time they had spooled up (about 8 seconds) it was too late.

It was an Airbus by the way!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

It is not at all clear that this is what happened in this crash.

The official report effectively blames pilot error, flying at 30' for the display fly-past rather than the planned 100' and opening the throttles too late.

However, there are other circumstances; both flight recorders had been tampered with BEFORE the authorities could inspect them, and the pilot (who survived) claims that he believed that he was at the correct altitude and that the engines were slow to spool-up.and the aircraft did not respond to the stick.

It is apparent that there was a altimeter problem on the aircraft, giving a reading of 63' whilst still on the ground. This would account for the low altitude, but whether the crew should have noticed is another matter.

The auto-thrust system was switched off on the aircraft. This was necessary to complete the planned display. This could have contributed to the slow spool-up. There is also the possibility of 'stagnation' in the engines. Modifications were made after the crash to improve the hydraulic moving of vanes in the engine at low rpm. This is also associated with 'compressor stall' which had already happened on another A320.

The pilots reported lack of response to the stick may have been due to a software problem. The official report discounts this because the Angle of Attack Protection would have overridden the 'landing mode'. There is some dispute about this due to variations in the timings, the altitudes and AoA; notably a missing 4 seconds from the data in the flight recorders.

All in all the whole thing is a complete disaster if you pardon the pun.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

On or around Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:16:07 GMT, puffernutter enlightened us thusly:

actually, you can hear the engines come on thrust right at the end of the clip. Mind you, 8 seconds, that's some turbo lag.

I bet that caused some red faces in the computer programming depratment.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| Thanks for that Richard, as a nervous flyer I shouldn't have watched || it. I fly to the Land of Pantelis again on Sunday. || TonyB

Really really sorry! I'm such a nervous flyer I am a confirmed non-flyer now. If I've made your pre-journey nerves worse, just up the dose of whisky and diazepam on the approach section.

Safe journey, seriously.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

The "turbo lag" on big jets IS very long, there's a lot of metal to spin very very fast. and the power curve is pretty horrible too.

Steve

Reply to
steve

I'm not watching anything just based on the discussion here - I'm flying tomorrow!

Here is a legimately funny th> >Considering three people died I'd hope it was the former. That was caused

Reply to
kickbo

Most men would have just stepped on the f***er so I can't help but think that he was dressed in the wrong colour suit. He sounded like pink would be much more his hue.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On 2006-10-05 20:50:08 +0100, "Richard Brookman"

Indeed, apols!

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Tony Hi,

does that mean that you fly the plane to Greece or you are flying by plane to Greece?

Next time you are here send me an e-mail at pantgATotenetDOTgr and I may be able to meet you at the airport for a coffee.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Cool. Thanks Pantelis that would be great for next time. You can get me at the following: crc.medicalATbtinternet.com Don't suppose you'll be near Platerias this weekend? Regards TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

chap. Planes are remarkably

car passenger in the world as i

Boredom. I wish.....

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

OT I know, but what was this 4" nail Rich? A grommet for a sinus problem? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I'm a nuclear radiographer, not a pilot!

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

You forgot "Damnit Jim!"

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

||| Yes, I'm sure it's the control thing. I'm a lousy car passenger ||| too. There are very few drivers I am totally relaxed with. I tend ||| to weigh them up in the first couple of miles and then either fall ||| asleep or spend the rest of the journey pumping hell out of the ||| passenger footwell with my right foot. || || || OT I know, but what was this 4" nail Rich? A grommet for a sinus || problem? TonyB

More or less. Typical LR build quality - sinuses should have a drain hole near the bottom to drain out the accumulated gunk, but mine were installed at the top. Friday afternoon job, probably. I suffered for 40+ years from blocked nose, infections, catarrh etc. Finally my Dr sent me for an x-ray and they found the problem. The operation was called a bilateral nasal antrostomy (or some such) but the Dr explained later it was merely a matter of inserting a 4" nail in each nostril and banging it upwards with a hammer once or twice to create the required hole. Thoroughly vile procedure, but when I came out I could breathe through my nose for the first time in my life, and haven't had a problem there since.

Reply to
Richard Brookman