More silly questions door locks

One of the more annoying things about my series 3 is the door locks, not the most secure of things, all you would need to do is force or break a window in order to open them. However if I were to put key operated locks all round then I would have an even more annoying problem of not being able to lock them from inside as it appears you cannot do this.

Has anyone come up with a better replacement for the standard locks ?

Reply to
Larry

This may sound odd, but I don't bother locking any of my Landies apart from Grumble - which has a rather serious alarm system anyway. My thinking is that, provided I remove anything of value (and usually the rotor arm too), I'd be happier if they cause less damage finding out. I was told that one of the local students ended up sleeping in my S3 one night whilst I was away, as he was drunk and had lost his keys...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Couldn't agree more although the students that live round here have only ever managed to be sick on the bonnet of the RR and once on the black vinyl roof of the Jag, before we had kids and Land Rovers. I laughed when we had the non-functioning radio from the Saab - it just looked good, but they had made a mess of the door and inside getting it out. To be honest we live in what is considered to be an area where car crime is

7% above the national average. Generally the only car that gets locked religiously is the Range Rover as this is Bruce's main mode of transport. The central locking has not worked for a while on the Disco, although there is an alarm fitted etc fitted. I always have good intentions on going back out to lock up, but forget - the same with the series 3 which I have been driving the past week or so(radiator had a hole in it on Disco). And we have never had a problem with someone breaking in to it. They would open the door on the Disco and feel sorry for me and clean it out;-)
Reply to
Nikki

Same here. I remove the face-off stereo from my SIII, and the Wrecker has a steering wheel lock (it's not parked near my place, and I don't use it very often - don't want to tempt fate). Apart from that I don't bother. Most of mine look so tatty nobody even bothers looking in them

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The military anti-burst locks on my 101 have both a key hole on the outside, and a little latch on the inside. You can lock it with the latch and it works the same as the key. These would seem to fit what you want. They dont rattle as much as standard series door locks too, and actually seem to stay closed.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to fit them to a normal series door. Shouldnt be too hard, may involve a small amount of messing about. You would need the latch too.

I bought a new door lock for my 101, and it cost me about £25 with keys and barrel. A latch probably wouldnt cost much. You could possibly get the bits from somewhere that breaks ex-mil landies to make it a bit cheaper..

Reply to
Tom Woods

I got some replacement military anti-burst locks, barrels and keys from Paddocks a couple of years ago. Worked out about 16 quid a side or somesuch. I simply haven't bothered getting any locks for my lockless military standard 101 GS - and it's been outside for a good few months without anyone bothering. I left my prized King Dick socket set in there one weekend, too!

I think the local 'lads' believe I'm some nutter military survivalist with guns in the cellar. I keep telling them what absolute nonsense that is. Guns go rusty in the cellar, you really need to keep them under the pillow ;-)

(Note: I do not own, not am I likely to ever own any firearms. That comment for the sake of humour)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

All my mates tell me that its hardly worth locking your landy if you have a rag top. You're less likely to get your rag ripped/cut if you just leave the door unlocked.

It seems to work for them. I feel better having locked a door though (however pointless it is). I've come back to my landy a couple of times and found the back of my rag open and things not as i left them.. which shows that door locking is completely pointless!

Reply to
Tom Woods

345435 (RH) and 345436 (LH) and 3 rivets will give you internal locking

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson