MPG

Just got my first Landy, a 300 tdi 90, cracking! Have been monitoring mpg and according to my callculations getting anything between 33-35mpg. Is that likely? All info points to 25-28 as the norm. The vehicle is on 235 BFGoodrich A/Ts. Are these a standard fitment or are they larger than standard? I'm wondering whether the speedo/trip needs to be recalibrated and therefore that I'm travelling less on the road than the odometer is telling me (if that makes sense!)

Reply to
Ken Long

Depending on the OE tyre size (they varied), and what the aspect ratio of your current tyres is (the bit that comes after the 235), you may well have tyres that are larger or smaller than standard. Bigger would make your mileage read low, and your fuel consumption seem worse than it is; smaller would mean the opposite. A full-tank-to-full-tank measurement against an accurate and independent mileage measurement (eg by GPS) is the only way to know for sure. Depending on what you find, you may need to change the speedo drive. Easy and cheap to do. Or you could just ignore it and enjoy the feeling that you are doing better than most.

Gald you're enjoying it.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Well from where I am if you get more than 20 mpg you are smiling, that I suppose is an advantage of the diesels and more recent stuff.

However if I cared about Mpg I would not be driving a landie in the first place.

You could always get someone to drive on a specific route and then drive the same route yourself and compare the odometer readings.

Reply to
Larry

On or around Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:08:06 +0100, "Ken Long" enlightened us thusly:

if they're 235/85R16 they may be oversize. However, as RB said, that'll make yer mileage *under* read, which should make your mpg look worse. Earlier 90s had 205R16 as standard tyres, which are about the same size as

235/70R16. However, at some point they standardized and started fitting them with 235/85R16 the same as the 110s.

Driving sensibly on longish runs (not stop-start, for example) I'd reckon you ought to get figures like that. Mother and Father got 35+ from the 300 TDi disco the other day on a steady run up to North Wales.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Could have come with 265/75s as standard, and someone has replaced them with

205s - can't see why, but could happen. That would explain an over-reading of mileage by about 10% Not enough info to go on, though, really.
Reply to
Richard Brookman