My hairy little magnet !!

Just changed gearbox oil at 94k; first time I think its been done. Looked for the dreaded metal bits and found the usual pattern of magnetic powder standing up from the magnet on the drain plug. Question is, should I expect this after this mileage or none at all ? Does'nt seem to be much and very very fine particles that are not really definable as metal pieces; only when by the magnet do they become apparent as iron filings.

Reply to
Hirsty's

Hirsty's waffled thusly

Yes, I'd expect 'some' dust/filings whatever age of engine. If this is the first time you've seen them I wouldn't worry, unless you only checked last week ... ;)

Frankly I'm amazed that if this _is_ the first time the oil has been changed that the box actually works .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I am a gentle person :-))

Serious note though; it is certainly the first in 50k.

Reply to
Hirsty's