Need some advice to change front drive axle for 1995 Range Rover Classic.

Hi everyone.

There is a cracking noise, coming from my 1995 RR Classic drive axle. Noise comes only when I make a left or right turn and it is like cracking. Could someone advice me what do I need to be prepared, before I start taking that front stub axle, constant velocity joint etc. apart. Do I need some extra new seals, or something I might be missing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Respectfully, Arsene.

Reply to
amond77

It will be the CV joints. On my 87 classic, it was quite easy - 3 hours to do both ish. Once the 1st one is done, the other side is a piece of piss.

The seals you need are just the normal 'paper' ones. One for the stub axle to swivel housing, the other from the hub to the short bit of the drive shaft.

The CV joint should just fit through the hole in the swivel housing, and you'll need to drain the housing, so get some more EP90 or one shot.

Think thats it..... 52mm box spanner for the hub nut?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Thanks a lot for your help Mark...:)

Respectfully, Arsene.

Reply to
amond77

Before you do anything just make sure that there is oil in the swivel housings.

Reply to
Dougal

I had a similar experience... It turned out to be the wheel bearings. Check them out first. These will be the easiest fix.

Jack

Reply to
Jack