New Defender

I've been reading in the press that LR are maybe going to re-design the Defender. Anyone know if they are going ahead with it or not?.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

We have just come back from a trip to Gaydon where there are lots of LandRovers including a defender type or concept that they done a few years ago. Hope they dont go down this route, it looks awful. The only good thing I could see was there was plenty of leg space (its a truck cab) due to the gear lever sticking out the dash and having an almost flat floor. Richard

Reply to
Richard

I've seen that Defender at Gaydon, not a pretty thing at all. Reason I ask is I saw an odd 4x4 looking thing on the road yesterday, which to me looked like a big Defender. Breif descrption of thing:

Dark Blue SWB Truck cab, with tan coloured tarp on back. Sat very high on the road. Very slab sided front wings Rectangular headlights with rounded looking corners W reg, new W not old Plus having seen the Disco 3 prototypes being tested, this thing had a 'prototype' look to me!. The only car that looks close to it would have to be something like a Chevy Blazer

Maybe it's me imagining things but it did look odd!.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

"Dom J" wrote

My understanding is the new Defender will use the same T5 chassis as the new Disco 3, however as the Disco has a monocoque body attached to it and the Defender will need lots of different bodies probably making it uneconomic to make them as monocoques it will be interesting to see how they overcome this. Wonder if the new Defender will have the option of air suspension?

Anyway, I'm sure the designs are well underway as we speak.

There are also rumours of a cheaper, smaller, "tonka toy" type Landy probably on the next Freelander chassis but looking more Defender type. (or is that the Suzy Justy?) :-)

Ford do need to get some money back from their investment.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Defender

My understanding is that there are no plans to produce a new Defender as it would be uneconomic. LR have declined to tender for a recent MOD contract for such a vehicle, which does not bode well. The present vehicle, with all its advantages and deficiencies, can continue to be sold because it does not have to be tested to latest safety standards because it is already in production. The TD5 engine will not pass the next emission hurdle though. I have heard on the grapevine that it will be replaced by a version of the TDCi diesel four cylinder as fitted to the Mondeo. Probably a big improvement, don't you think?

Huw

Reply to
Huw