Rookie Update

So those that are aware of the beginning of the project will be pleased to know grease monkey has been put back in his box to be allowed out only under strictest of supervision.

Well ripped out a few parts from a series III that was bound for scrap and decided to replace a fairly knackered dashboard ( well seeing as Sprocket Jock had already done half the job already...) Removing the dash revealed a leak from the windscreen which had puddled and rusted the top of the bulkhead so thats had a good scrub an a coat of Zinc 182.

Windscreen glass is currently out to be refitted tomorrow. Q1: To replace the window is it as easy to use a silicone sealant or best to use LR specific stuff ?

Then the dash is replaced and on with the wiring. So far about halfway through labelling wires (not helped by previous owner replacing wires with different colours than those in the manual ) Thanks to those here who offered help and advice it was all helpfull and appreciated, the job would have been a lot more trouble without it.

So then the plan is to get the baby running again fail its MOT and then I should have a big fail/2do list to work through.

Q2: Is there a a recognised shedule for restoration work? Concerned that i may be undoing bolts now only to have to redo them another time. Or is that all part of the fun?

Oh an drivers door top fell off so guess ill be getting a new one of them altho' grabbed the old one off scrapped one and unsure wether its worth the effort to wrestle with hinge bolts when a new door top would suffice.

Q3: Are these updates of any interest ? maybe a freebie site is a more suitable place ?

Cheers again

Dave

Reply to
tsunami

i dont mind them at all, gives me some escapeism, as if escapeism`ing under my landy`s not enough......;

andy

ps..

you got any bits left over from the other landy, im after a passenger wing and door.

Reply to
Andy

I'd use dun-dum. 'Tis not landrover specific - i think most classic cars use it. It comes in a yellow tin, and is available from my local car parts shop. Halfords probably even sell it.

It seals better than silicon IMO as it stays soft for a long time, so it is easier to get a better seal. I thought it was less messy too.

I did my screen with silicon, and then later redid it with dum-dum as i just couldnt get rid of the leaks with the silicon (It was cheap crappy silicon mind)

I've given up with schedules. I can never keep to them anyway!.

It should be fairly obvious if you sit down and look at it where youre gonna be working in the same area multiple times so that you dont have to take things off twice. I think generally there seems to be a lot of not much visible change happening, and then suddenly you reach a point where everything comes together, and you can suppenly put a lot of the bits back!.

You shouldnt need to touch the hinge bolts to do just the door top. I opted for a nice new pre-glazed ones, which was very easy and was quite a luxurious improvement over my old ones!

The people who dont like them can always ignore them!

Reply to
Tom Woods