Wheel Clamping: Security International Group (Southampton)... Did they act properly?

Recently, on a Saturday morning back in May, I was unfortunate enough to leave my 'pride and joy' (a Ford Mondeo) parked in what I believed to be the Customer Parking Area for HSBC Bank in central Southampton.

I then went into the Bank, conducted my business, and returned between

5 and 7 minutes later, to find a large yellow wheel clamp attached to the front of my vehicle, and a fat security guard making his way back to his car, having 'done the deed'.

When I enquired as to exactly why this gentleman had felt fit to apply said clamp, he referred me to a pair of Security International Group's signs, that were affixed to the opposite wall of the car park (facing away from the entrance). I have attempted to illustrate the situation using ASCII, below....

WALL - No signs ____________________ | | | == | | == X| WALL - 2 x SIG Warning Signs | == | approximately 4 metres from the ground | CAR | | X| | | | | | | | |______________________________ | | | | No Boundary ______________________________ | | | | | | | | | HSBC Bank's | | Customer Car Park | HSBC BANK BUILDING

Now, upon my entrance to what I (wrongly) assumed to be part of HSBC's car park, I did not encounter any Security International Group (SIG) warning signs. Of course, the Patrol Officer took great delight in referring me to the two signs that were not visible from the entrance, placed high up on the wall facing away from the entrace to this area.

When I politely explained that these signs did not seem to correspond to the area in which I was parked, he informed me that, previously, additional signs DID exist, but these were taken down, as the landlord of that particular building did not want them on his wall.

The Security Patrol involved did not seem interested in the fact that I had unwittingly parked for a maximum period of seven minutes on what transpired to be private land, unconnected with HSBC. When I contested payment, he picked up his mobile phone call, apparently to call out a 'tow truck'.

Referring to the two signs that I had since been made aware of, I noticed that the wheel clamp release fee charged by this 'outfit' was an extortianate £99! I then read on, to discover that the fee for vehicle recovery after a tow-away was a further £125....

By this time, it was 12:05, and I had an MOT test booked at a garage eight miles away for 12:30pm. Realising that I had no time to argue further, I eventually agreed to pay the fee, (albeit under duress!) The Patrol Officer informed me that the only methods of payment acceptable were Visa and Cash (!) Thinking that Visa would be easier to track for future correspondence, I reluctauntly handed over my card.

At this stage, the offending clamp (including chain looped through the front suspension) was removed; I was relieved of £99, and the Patrol Officer went on his way, telling me to "Have a nice day" as he went. As he departed, I told him that "I hoped there had been no damage" to which he replied "I hope so". It is not clear what he meant by this.

During the incident, I attempted to photograph the Patrol and his vehicle, for him then to tell me that, if I did so, he would leave immediately and summon the tow truck. Apparently my photography would contravene the Health and Safety at Work Act, as his identification on film might give rise to future events that could harm either himself or his family.

I was horrified to later discover that there was indeed a scratch on my car, on the wing where the wheel clamp had been applied. I suspect that this was done during application or removal of the clamp. The Patrol's manner seemed 'careless' at best, during the removal process.

I have sent a letter of complaint to S.I.G., demanding that the release fee is refunded, upon which I will drop the matter. I then went on to inform them that I would commence legal proceedings for the full amount of the release fee (£99) plus a spray job on the affected wheel arch (circa £100) plus my time and inconvenience. I enclosed a site photograph, taken on 01/05/04, and a damage photograph taken on

06/05/04.

Security International Group replied, stating that they were not willing to refund the administration fee of £99. They claimed that their signage was sufficient (as did the Patrol Officer involved) and that "Hampshire Constabulary deemed that the two signs were enough". A phone call to Hampshire Police confirmed that no such conversations would take place, especially concerning the activities of private Security Companies such as S.I.G. The Company in question also stated that 'my photograph showing damage to the vehicle was taken almost a full week later'. Surely this is not relevant?

I am now contemplating whether it is worth taking this case to Southampton County Court, as a 'small claim'. Within my limited understanding, the following offences have been committed:

  1. Clamping cars without clearly visible signs in the IMMEDIATE area (two were removed)
  2. Demanding money with menaces (pay up or I will call the towing service)
  3. Extortion (£99 is not "reasonable"... £50 might be).

As an Epilogue to this little tale, I phoned HSBC Bank to ask if any other staff or Customers had fallen into this little S.I.G. trap. I spoke to a chap who told me that he was registered blind, and his driver had also been clamped by these cowboys. Despite carrying the orange badge, his driver had also been forced to pay up...

I have read up on the subject since this event (01 May 2004). The case of 'Arthur vs. Anker' comes to mind... Do you think it is worth pursuing further?

All comments and advice are welcomed.

Regards,

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Dempster

Alan Dempster ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, I'd give in now, I think, and chalk it up to experience.

I've a horrible feeling that trying to get too legal on their arses might just prove messily counter-productive, since they'll have your address...

Low-life bastards, the lot of 'em. Only thing you can do is try to avoid going anywhere near the shops round where these pondlife "patrol", and hope they lose enough business that they start to connect it to the scum they've "employed".

Yes, I have had a similar experience... Does it show?

Reply to
Adrian

Buy yourself a conti saw with a diamond blade !!

Reply to
JK
125....

Charge it back , your contract is with Visa, if the clampers didn`t use reasonable care installing or removing clamp its Visa`s responsibilty.

Friend of mine used to work for office equipment place, lot of engineers on road and two service vans, kept a Stihl Cut Quik on one of the vans, cut the clamp off and send clampers bill for removal and storage, yet to see inside of court room on that one...

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Get yourself some bolt croppers, go back, park there, wait till you're clamped and he's gone, and remove the clamp with extreme predjudice :)

Reply to
Dan405

No, I wouldn't.

Alan - are you a member of the AA or RAC ?

If you are, you may well find that they'll take on the case for you - they have done for people before.

Reply to
Neil Barker

(SNIP)

Complete and utter bollocks.

I'm a professional photographer, Alan. I've worked for newspapers for 16 years and now run my newspaper's photographic department as Picture Editor.

The above is simply FUD - Fear Uncertainty and Doubt - aimed at you to try to stop you photographing him and no more. I've photographed wheel clampers before and they don't like it one bit, but tough shit - I know a damn sight more about the law relating to photography than they'll ever know.

Reply to
Neil Barker

You can also dispute any visa transactions you are not happy with.

Reply to
dp

: During the incident, I attempted to photograph the Patrol and his : vehicle, for him then to tell me that, if I did so, he would leave : immediately and summon the tow truck. Apparently my photography would : contravene the Health and Safety at Work Act, as his identification on : film might give rise to future events that could harm either himself : or his family.

At this point I think - with the benefit of hindsight - you'd have been best to take the photograph and call his bluff. If he's called his tow truck you should then have called the police, and demonstrated to them that the clampers were preparing to tow you away despite your offering to pay the release fee.

Take the buggers to the Small Claims Court. Even if you lose it will cost them more in hassle than you paid ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

I do not recognise offence 1 and 3 but No. 2 might be interesting. I retired as a police officer five years ago so there may be some changes in the law that I am not aware of but I am pretty sure that the Theft Act 1968 remains the same.

S21 of the Theft Act 1968 describes Blackmail thus:- A person is guilty of blackmail if with a view to gain for himself or another or with intent to cause loss to another he makes any unwarranted demand with menaces.

A demand with menaces will be unwarranted unless the person making it believes that he has reasonable grounds for making the demand *and* the use of the menaces is a proper means of reinforcing the demand. Note the use of the word "and". Threatening the tow truck would not, I suspect, be seen by a court of law as a proper way of enforcing payment and the offence of blackmail has been committed.

Your only trouble will be proving it. It will be your word against his and I cannot see the Crown Prosecution Service proceeding if he denies it (which he may well if he reads this newsgroup). You could try reporting it to your local CID in the hope that this person will admit what he said under interview but do not hold out much hope for success.

IMHO, your best bet would be to visit a solicitor who deals with such disputes. You can examine a list of Legal Aid solicitors (they have a very low fixed fee for an initial consultation) at your local police station, public library, or Citizens' Advice Bureau. A solicitor can work wonders with a suitably worded letter.

Reply to
Howard Neil

You could always try to find out who is actually the owner of the land and take *them* to Court as well.

Use Money Claim Online if it's a specific sum of money involved. There is a fixed fee for using it and it's all done (initially) online with the least hassle.

Reply to
Mark W

someone I know told the credit car company the story they went after the clampers obviously they have more money than you could ever afford to spend on the legal side of things and it won't be your legs that they break :)

Reply to
dojj

I know this is car related, but I think it should be posted to a legal ng. Though they'll probalby say "you parked there you pay the fine". Can only ask... good luck

Reply to
Barry

In article , Alan Dempster writes

[snip clamping tale of woe]

There was a similar thread posted in uk.legal a few weeks ago. Might be worth a google.groups search.

Alternatively, next time it happens:

Mike Tomlinson