Emission Testing (IM240 test method)

I have two questions and wondering if someone could help me to understand this better.

1/ Does the vehicle mileage (>290,000 km) has any bearing on E-tesing specification limits (pass and fail criteria)? 2/ Just received an e-test today for the car with the above mileage with a hydrocarbons a bit high but still pass e-test at ~ 1600 rpm. Any suggestion to improve it? Would like to see the value about 10 instead of 35.

Notes:

Vehicle: 93 Bonneville SSEi > The vehicle has a new catalic converter about three months ago > Car is running fine > Spark plugs about 40,000 km ago (Platimum plug which I don't think it is

the best as claimed and should be replaced)

New engine oil (few days old before the test)

Thx in advance for your help. MN

Reply to
Mnn

Typically, no. The test limits are factored to take vehicle age into account to a degree, but not towards any specific mileage.

10/35 what? parts per million, percent, grams per mile? What is the measurement method? What is the maximum allowed?

Depending on the brand and type (single platinum versus double platinum) the plugs could cause a problem. DIS ignition systems do not always work well with single platinum sparkplugs. If they're Bosch single platinums, I'd dump 'em regardless. If your 3 month old catylitic convertor is an aftermarket unit instead of OEM, be advised, the aftermarket cats are usually no where near as efficient as an OEM unit.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Thanks Neil for the info, Just want to clarify about the HC number. I would like to reduce HC from 35 ppm to 15 ppm. So, if idling HC is okay that mean catalic converter must be okay (I am guessing here) then at 1600 rpm the catalic converter should be fine too. I am going to change the spark plug (platimun from BOSH bought at Canadian Tire) back to AC delco regardless. Too bad I can not perform this test at home to rule out the possibilities without paying for another e-test which I don't need.

Thx again! MN

Reply to
Mnn