No drive

Was it clunky taking up drive, partic rev to forward,cos it could be your transfer gear has stripped the mainshaft, a common problem on lt77's. if so it means a gearbox rebuild or replacement. I had mine done by LEGS of Oswestry as a same day service for about £750 2 years ago. if it is the prob & you do a rebuild , be sure to fit a crossdrilled transfer gear to allow the oil to get to it (thats the reason they wear in the first place, lack of lube.

Chris

1990 Disco 200 Tdi
Reply to
Merlin©

Defender 90 owner Whilst pulling away from a roundabout all of a sudden i heard a bang and there was no drive in any of the gears, does anyone know of any possible causes for this?Thanks in advance Ian.

Reply to
Ian Hamilton

any drive in difflock? If you have drive in difflock but not with the diff open most likely halfshaft or sheared cv joint

If no drie in difflock, another option is clutch disintegrated, mine went with one helluva bang, but stunk of clutch....

More serious options then become gearbox or transfer box prolems

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfriend's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)

Peterborough 4x4 Club

Simon Isaacs

Probably, I'm afraid. I'm with Merlin on the splined shaft theory.

Reply to
David French

On or around Sun, 04 Jul 2004 20:36:25 GMT, "Ian Hamilton" enlightened us thusly:

sounds a lot like the gearbox output shaft splines have given up the ghost.

your potions include hunting a second-hand box (but it's bit of a lottery if it's a good 'un, unless you know the donor vehicle)

you can instead rebuild your box or have it rebuilt, or get the pros to rebuild etc.

as someone else said, make sure you get the "cross-drilled transfer gear", since otherwise the wear starts again.

It could be summat else, of course, but this is far the most likely as it's the biggest known cause of death in these things.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'd say you've broken a halfshaft. Engage the difflock and see if it will go. If so then you're going to have to get busy underneath.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Reply to
Ian Hamilton

Reply to
Ian Hamilton

Reply to
Ian Hamilton

Ashcrofts replaced my gearbox and clutch for about £900, including parts and labour. Make sure you get a new clutch fitted at the same time, because that will be about ready too and the gearbox has to come out to do it.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Reply to
Ian Hamilton