no fuel!

Just for reference Rt=R1R2/(r1+r2) Or Rt= Product/sum is a useful way of doing it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I wouldn't think there is an earth connection to the voltage stabiliser, it's just mounted on a convenient point which just happens to be earthed. Is the temp gauge reading ok or is that erratic also?

If, as the OP says, he wants to increase the resistance, then a series connected resistor can be mounted anywhere in the line from the tank unit to the gauge.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Simply fill the can to the brim and put the cap on ... no space between the liquid and cap = no fumes :-)

Reply to
SteveG

A saturated vapour won't explode though will it ? Not enough oxygen.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

In article , Oily writes

I don't know yet: the only solid data is that the (relatively new) gauge is over-reading the amount of fuel, and that I thought I bodged it on installation so that it definitely wouldn't do that.

I've got to do some work on the instrument cluster shortly, as the plastics are breaking/broken. When I repair that I'll do some proper diagnosis and report back...

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Making up an adjustable solid state voltage regulator with an LM317, a trimpot and a couple of caps so that you can calibrate it from the voltage side might be a solution.

Reply to
EMB

Can I use one of those to regulate the field on an old 6v dynamo?

Reply to
Oily

It needs an earth connection of *some* sort as a reference. This is usually the case via the mouting screw, but may be a third terminal in very rare cases with isolated electrics. I've never seen a visible third terminal, but it may be needed for Hazchem tankers and the like, which have electrical systems totally isolated from the chassis.

True. I'd be more inclined to think though, from all the symptoms given, that all the warning lights and dash controls are earthed to a single connection which may be high resistance. Cure that, and all the symptoms will go away. If the fuel level is still wrong, then the sender may not be matched to the gauge, in which case fiddling with resisitors will improve things, but not cure the problem.

Reply to
John Williamson

Unfortunately not. You *could* try one of these, though:-

John Williamson

Cheers for the link John.

Reply to
Oily

And the petrol station won't allow you to fill it cos it's against the rules.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Austin Shackles writes

And people complain about LPG gauges.

Reply to
hugh

Why not? (Old oil cans excepted.)

Reply to
Rich B

Any container has to conform to BS whatever. As I said it's a rule.

Reply to
hugh

I think that Rich recognises that point by excluding old oil cans (etc.). Otherwise there's no problem that I see.

Just get the stuff poured in quickly before they realise what you're doing! I'm sure that they won't turn down payment.

Reply to
Dougal

That's the way, after all, what are rules made for? :-)

Reply to
Oily

Especially if the petrol station sold you the can only minutes before. Yes containers for petrol do have regulations(*) but I've never been stopped from filling a 20l jerry can.

All containers must have an effective vapour seal and be marked "petroleum spirit highly flammable" OWTTE. Capacity of plastic no more tha 5l, metal

10l.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And our local Sainsburys won't let you fill more than two containers at any one time.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon

Which I think is correct under the regulations relating to the carrage of fuel containers in vehicles (fuel tank excepted).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice