noise, that reminds me.

anyone know if you can have a knock (engine speed ish) in a torque converter.

The V8/ZF combo in my 110 has had a knock ever since I started playing this silly game, and since then it's had a different engine and a different gearbox, the only bit that's never been replaced is the TC.

It doesn't seem to get any worse, it's more noticeable when cold.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Oh is THAT where the noise comes from?! Mine is noisy on the underside, purrs at the top.....never could figure out where the noise was - I've also replaced the engine. I did feel better about it when I listened to a few other Auto V8's...and they were the same.....

Neil

Neil Brownlee

On or around Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:20:07 +0000 (UTC), "Neil Brownlee" enlightened us thusly:

I dunno, but it's the only explanation I can think of which allows the same knock to persist through 2 different engines and boxes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hello, Austin!

Yeah, although I have not changed my box, I have changed the engine once, and the y-pipes 3 times....and the knock persists.

Neil http://www,mud-club.com

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Try re-shimming the end of the crank to apply the correct pre-load against the front face of the converter via the flex-plate. Sounds as though the converter can move back and forwards by 10thou or so and that's the noise you get. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:28:59 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

Blimey. Didn't even know that you could. Mind, it's an engine out job, innit, to do that. Hmmm. I guess in theory I could look at it, decide if it does indeed have suchlike play, and put 4 shims between the converter and the drive plate. Which would be do-able without removing anything much.

'course, HBoL makes no mention of this.

What sort of preload are we talking here? The converter is, of course, bolted tight to the drive plate, but ISTR when unbolted there is a small clearance - the converter will turn without dragging on the plate.

'ere, while on the subject of V8s and so on, any joy with that manifold?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

thusly:

Summit in the landrover rangie factory book, will have a looksee when I get a chance and remember.

Been up to my ears in it this last fortnight, haven't forgotten, just haven't had a chance.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:48:54 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

I'll have a look on the RAVE thing, see if I can spot it.

fair enough.

Reply to
Austin Shackles