Super Duty Transmission Problems?

Anyone having/had trouble with their transmission in a 1998+ Super Duty?

My Trans just blew @ 15k miles and ford has no idea whats wrong. Any ideas?

thanks....john

Reply to
casadontej

'It happens........sometimes'

F Gump

Reply to
TransSurgeon

If they overheat, they die. Check to see if there is an inline filter, between the tranny and the cooler. Mine had one (bought used) and the filter (which I had no idea it even existed) was plugged up. These trannys need to cool and have clean fluid.

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
r.catherwood
1999 F350 4X4 CrewCab Dually 7.3PSD, 4R100 Auto Trans

Around 85,000 miles, I started hearing a noise, like a grinding when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, then later when it shifted in or out of O/D. It wasn't bad, just noticeable. It didn't do it at all when cold. It was worse when pulling a load, by load I mean 12,000 lbs of trailer and grading equipment.

I should have taken it then to be checked, but when the truck sits, I lose money. Not a good excuse in hindsight.

Anyway, it got so bad I had no choice to take it in for fear of a failure, and had to replace the transmission, and torque converter.

I was able to swap in a Banks Billet converter, as the dealership installed the replacement transmission, so I have at least that upgrade.

They told me the overdrive had failed and that is what started the whole mess. At least I have a 3 year 36K mile warranty now.

TransSurgeon may be able to shed more light on this than I can, I am not a transmission mechanic.

Good luck,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

. . === === Super Duty Transmission Problems? Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Wed, Mar 3, 2004, 6:14pm (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (casadontej)

Anyone having/had trouble with their transmission in a 1998+ Super Duty?

My Trans just blew @ 15k miles and ford has no idea whats wrong.

Any ideas? thanks....john ============= ============= is yer muffler got holes in it??

i got an idea......

I got an idea that yer truck is suffering from a bad case of neglect.

I got an idea that you ain't never changed the fluid and filter in yer truck.

I got an idea that you never even gave it a second thought, untill yer tranny took a dump.

I got an idea.......that maybe ......jest maybe.... you'de be a lot better off if'n you wuz to call a cab to get around!! Cuz you ain't drive'n that truck enough to warrant paying the tag fees.....much less paying the taxes and the insurance. Hell..... you'de be ahead of the game if you'de jest call a cab to go places. Shoot....you could use the tranny money to order out. Then you wouldn't need to get out there in all that traffic.....take'n the risk of get'n hit. Be a dang shame to fix that tranny.....jest to have some fool whack the side off of the truck fer you.

any whooo......

Forget fixing the tranny!!!!

Trash the truck!!!

That tranny is gonna cost a whole bunch of that money of yours to fix. Heck, you ain't barely driving 2,000 miles a year the way I figure it. Then again....that's taking into consideration a late production date. Wonder if you would post that for me?? So's I could get a little closer on that mileage average for you. I could be way off on it......you may be driving an early production date truck.

any whooo........

you ain't driving it enough to even consider fixing it. Unless of course it's a sentimental thing. Then by all means.......drop a couple $1800 to $2200 in fixing it.

Then.....

you could go another 15,000 miles.... in the next 6 to 7 years.....

dang shame yer out of warranty on that time thing.........aye?

hey....what's the chance that..... the Dealer Dude told you yer tranny fluid was good fer 100,000 miles...and not to worry bout chang'n it till then???

that would mean.... yer truck would have been a classic before it needed a tranny service !!! You shouldn't be due fer one till around the year 2040..... keep in mind.....that's kinda of guess'n at the production date....so's you may wanna add or subtract bout 5 years....

00 L O

MarshMonster ~water~

.

.

.

.

.

i got another idea.........

MOISTURE !!!!

oo L O

maybe you better change that motor oil..... and that rusty tail-pipe..... and that fuel filter....

maybe you maybe ought'a drive it a little more to heat ever'ting up enough to burn off all the humidity dripping around inside of all dem tings on yer pick-em-up.....

then..... maybe 6 years or more worth of atmospheric humidity....and "liquor-still" activity....wouldn't create another mysterious component failure.

aye??

-
Reply to
Marsh Monster

Yup.

Last year I bought a 2001 F-550 with 16,000 miles on it. Transmission hung in low gear a couple of times around 16,500 miles and stayed in low gear permanently at 17,000 miles.

Ford diesel shop didn't even try to repair it. They verified that the problem was not in the shift controller and replaced the entire transmission on the spot. I've been advised by knowledgeable people to install a transmission temperature gauge and to be meticulous about changing transmission fluid, filters and such.

Regards, John Kinney

Reply to
John Kinney

Let me guess what happened next..............it STILL didn't shift until they changed the Vehicle Speed Sensor

Reply to
TransSurgeon

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

WebTV strikes again....

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

|I had a similar problem at about 18,000 miles...sounded like a rattling exhaust |heatshield, but it happened at a certain RPM, when hot, and only under |acceleration. First time in they replaced the torque converter...said it was |the TC clutch chattering when it engaged. Noise started coming back in 3,000 |miles. Second time in they had a TSB on it...something about the valve body |overpressuring the TC clutch, got a new valve body and control unit. Now, at |about 33,000 miles it's starting to come back again and I will be taking it in |before the warranty is out. | |In article , "Spdloader" | writes: | |>Around 85,000 miles, I started hearing a noise, like a grinding when |>shifting from 2nd to 3rd, then later when it shifted in or out of O/D. |>It wasn't bad, just noticeable. It didn't do it at all when cold. It was |>worse when pulling a load, by load I mean 12,000 lbs of trailer and grading |>equipment. |>

|>I should have taken it then to be checked, but when the truck sits, I lose |>money. Not a good excuse in hindsight. |>

|>Anyway, it got so bad I had no choice to take it in for fear of a failure, |>and had to replace the transmission, and torque converter.

There is a fluid additive transmission shops use to stop TC chatter after a rebuild. Any chance that might be helpful? Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 20:38:55 +0000, Matt Macchiarolo rearranged some electrons to form:

It's a shame, sometimes he does have a good idea or two, but you can't (or don't want to) find it due to all the webtv crap.

See you in a few weeks.

Reply to
David M

Will let you know after my warranty is up.... ;-)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo