Noisy power steering

All,

I just got my first 110 (2001 TD5) and the power steering is very noisy when manoeuvring on hard surfaces.

Any idea what this could be?

Cheers,

Fred

P.S. I know, this is a bit vague, but I'm not even sure how to describe the noise...

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

May I suggest you check the power steering fluid level? If it is OK then maybe it just needs to be replaced (the fluid) Check also if the system needs bleeding.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

If it's only noisy on full lock it's nothing to worry about. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

My 1984 110's power steering sometimes 'moans' if I'm going lock to lock while stationary on tarmac, I put this down the the extra effort required by the pump, seems to work fine.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

My 1988 Defender 90 squeals on full lock (when its running that is), I had problems with the pump last year and even when I replaced it, the noise was still there, I replaced the pump belt, and still the noise, I put it down to a Land Rover design quirk, and now live with it.

Andy

Reply to
andy

As a reply to all and more on the actual noise.

The fluid level is fine. I didn't bleed it though (is that with the nipple on top of the actuator? (Is that how it's called?)

No, it does not happen full lock, but in between full locks.

The noise is very much like a dry contact between rotating/sliding pieces of metal that did wear a bit (some slack between them).

Cheers,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse