Non-start after sitting with empty petrol tank

My 2.25L Petrol SIII fires up then dies immediately. Air in the fuel lines?

I left it off the road for the winter, but when I noticed it was leaking petrol from the tank I drained the tank. Now trying to get it running again for summer, so I put in some petrol. Other posts suggest it is likely to be air in the lines. Is there an easy DIY trick to priming the pump? Answers in basic terms, please I'm no mechanic!

John London & Cambridge, UK

--

1980 Land Rover Series 111 109 Station Wagon + Dormobile mod cons
Reply to

Have you hand primed it using the handle on the lift pump? (assuming it has one - my 2.25 petrol did!)

crack off the incoming fuel line off the carb and hand prime it until fuel comes out of that, then reconnect and try again.

Having clear fuel lines makes fuel problem diagnosis much easier!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Dont know if this helps, but I had this on my range rover twice...

First time it was me putting the fuel filter on the wrong way round.

Second time coil was dead.

Air in the lines also sounds plausible - God ive been watching Mythbusters to much!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Just to add to what others have said, I've heard in the past that running the truck out of fuel can stir up crud in the tank due to the fuel washing around on the bottom so you can end up with the pipes being blocked, I've not seen that myself though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

When we replaced the old fuel tank on our S3 (the local 'professional' did it ... but didn't clean the new tank out ... hence fuel pickup in tank encrusted with crud. Easy fix was to undo top of tank, lift fuel pickup out, clean, replace, job's a good 'un.

'course, what everyone else has already said still applies ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Sounds like a good idea. Um.. how do I find the handle on the lift pump?

Reply to
ChelseaTractor

Find the fuel pump - right hand side (looking forwards from driver's seat) of engine. The handle's on the pump body. Once you start pumping fuel you'll feel the resistance.

If it never appears to pump at all i.e. a very short stroke - turn the engine one revolution by hand and try again.

Reply to
Dougal

handle may be on top. kinda like a little sprung lever

additional to Dougals note, one you have it in the right place, you should be able to feel if it is pumping fuel too. It will be easy (no fuel), then go harder and make your fingers ache, then go easy again once the fuel is past it and the system fully primed.

Reply to
Tom Woods

pull the fuel pipe off the carb and turnover if you have fuel healthily squirting then probably not the pump , the old Solex were prone to a sticking needle valve which prevents the float chamber filling usually just enough fuel would leak past to let the engine fire before the carb drained -in the bad old days deposits of triethyl lead also used to block the carbs I have before now fed neat fuel into the carb throat to keep it running until fuel pressure built up enough to clear the blockage - not recommend as a backfire is not fun when you are squirting fuel.entertaining but not fun Derek.

Reply to
Derek

Ah, another "eyebrow" veteran:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee D pointed out

and the hairs on the back off my hands but thats another tale entirely. :-)

Derek

Reply to
Derek