Petrol in Diesel Tank

Just out of interest, what would be the symptoms if petrol had been put into a diesel car.

I own a 1.9 Diesel Turbo Meridian. Put a tenner in the tank on Thursday afternoon (tank was fairly empty, but not enough for the light to come on) - drove home, approx a mile and a half and parked up.

Started up Friday morning, got down the road and the engine felt like it was gaining and losing power, turned around, just got home as the car stalled.

Car started about an hour later, drove around the block, same symptoms again, variable power surges and then stalled. Have attempted to turn the engine once, but no luck, just doesn't want to know.

I've checked the battery - full charge. Pulled out the fuel filter, looks clean (car got serviced a couple of months ago, so I know it's not been in for ages). I did have a sniff, not sure if the smell is pure diesel or if any petrol is mixed in.

Bearing in mind I've had absolutely no problems with the car before filling up on Thursday - could these symptoms suggest petrol in my tank.

Thanks for any replies.

Mark

Reply to
Mahseve

If thats what you done i think petrol will ruin the diesel pump, which could explain the loss of power you described, which could potentially be expensive if you took it to a garage.

Have you not got the reciept for the fuel to check? Check the feel of the fuel in the filter, it should feel oily if its diesel. If i were you i wouldnt start it again until you know for sure that its got diesel in it.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I put fuel in at Tesco's, so I guess it really is an outside chance they have mixed up fuels in their tanks.

If my fuel pump had packed up, could that lead to loss of power etc ?? The most frustrating thing is that I don't know what is wrong with the thing at the moment :-(

Thanks again for any replies / help

Reply to
Mahseve

Reply to
vass20

Reply to
Mahseve

Hi,

And the pump is the least thing you could expect... Injectors may also be on their way out. Sometimes it just destroys the engine.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Did you bleed the air out of the system after you checked the fuel filter? If you are sure you filled up with diesel, it is extremely inlikely that Tesco have mixed the fuels. Think og the number of other people who would also be affected. you would hear about it.

It certainly sounds like an air problem to me. All the classic symptoms. Brian.

Reply to
brian

Well sounds like you didnt put any petrol in it then, but still sounds like a fueling problem. As other has said check for leaks to see if air is getting into the system somewhere.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Same thing happened to us. We got a batch of infected fuel. It was hard to get rid of but various stuff from the auto shop worked..

Good Luck

John

Reply to
John

Hey Mahseve, if you are that worried why don't you dilute whatever is in your tank with more diesel. Some people add a small amount of petrol to get more oomph but I don't know what effect that has long-term. If it were going to harm your engine (quite unlikely) it would have happened by now. I still reckon you've got an air bleed problem but I don't know too much about turbos ( to me they're things that Sikhs wear on their heads!!!) so I guess that might be affected. If you put a tenner's worth of diesel that would mean about three gallons (assuming you're in UK) so if you top up your tank there will be a lesser proportion of petrol mixed in if you filled from the wrong pump. I don't think for a second that Tesco are in anyway to blame even if I don't have any shares in them.

You did say you had it serviced, so it could be the fuel delivery pipes were disturbed when the heaters were changed. I remember my pipes letting in air where they screw into the injectors once upon a time and that gave me the same problem. If your rubber washer on the bleeding glass is naff, you will have a complete refusal to run. I think that's where you will find the problem. Good luck.

Reply to
vass20

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

I have had the same problem. My feul tank has a filter to get air in the tank, when the fuel goes out. This filter was stuck. You can test it through leave the tank open en drive youre block's arround.

ciske

"Mahseve" schreef in bericht news:_88cd.436$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
Frans Kolsters