Oil on Air Filter in LR90 2.5TD

Hi, I am getting oil on my air filter on my LR90 2.5TD 1987. It clogs up a paper element in a couple of months. It appears to be coming from the rocker cover vent pipe. If I disconnect the pipe it seems to be pressurised, especially if I put my thumb over it for a couple of seconds... Suggestions?? Maybe valve stems / stem seals ??? Thanks Chris

Reply to
Rubberjony

Oh dear, are you gonna tell him, or should I?

Reply to
Nige

Can you do it gently?

Reply to
Dougal

Can *nige* do it gently?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That was my worry!

Reply to
Dougal

Hi All Thanks for the info. The engine was supposed to have been rebuilt when I bought it 4 years back but I have my doubts :-( I had the head off a year or so back and the bores were unmarked with very little step at the top of the bore. The head was straight and flat and the hotspots were not bad, just a few cracks around the edges. However the darned thing has no power so maybe the end is near... I gather it's not a major job to transplant a 200Tdi into a 90... anyone got a good engine cheap... ;-) Thanks Chris

Reply to
Rubberjony

it may well have been rebuilt 4 yrs ago- these 2.5TD's can be properly knackered in less than 50k, depending on treatment and how they have been (not) set up.

They were never designed to cope with the strain and heat loads imposed by the (non-intercooled) turbo.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..