Oily Engine Block - Help!

The right hand side of the engine block (turbo side) on my 300tdi disco is covered in oil and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what could be the cause, and what I need to do about it?

I had noticed that, somehow, after 2,500 miles the oil filter had come loose and initially I thought that was the cause of the oil on the block (I tried to invent a reason how it would transfer to the other side) but since refitting the oil filter (no leaks now) and cleaning the engine a couple of times the oil still appears on the right hand side !

The disco has shown a drop in performance and has developed a nice smoke-screen effect on a morning start-up, although this might (hopefully) be down to a little heavy-handedness with the old Redox Diesel Treatment - I've now refilled the tank to see if that has any effect on the smoke (white/grey smoke).

Any suggestions on what this could be, and what I need to do to sort it out would be much appreciated !

Cheers,

Gavin.

Reply to
Embo

A few things matey.

Oil from the filter housing gets blown around the other side by the fan.

The oil return union on the bottom of the turbo could be loose, mine was.

The sump is leaking, & the fan splatters it everywhere.

As for the blue haze, take the end off the turbo input pipe from the end of the turbo. Wait until it's cold, is there any play in the turbo spindle, if it's loose & rattly, it's knacked. You need a new turbo, i reckon thats what it could be.

Check all the oil pipes under the bonnett. Check in the intercooler for oil etc.

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Nige,

Thanks for the response.

I think I've eliminated the possibility of oil from the filter housing being the suspect as it's literally shining after the clean I gave it to make sure it wasn't still loose.

I'll check the sump, but I've not noticed any oil on the floor, which is bizarre considering there is clearly a leak somewhere.

I did wonder if it's still residual oil from the loose oil filter that has been blown by the fan to the other side and is taking it's time coming down, but after three good jet washes I'd be surprised if it was.

I'll check the turbo return union for any leaks, once it's cooled down a bit !

Cheers,

Gavin.

Reply to
Embo

whip the end off the turbo, check intercooler pipes for oil too.

Reply to
Nige

Good thinking !!

Me thinks I might be going up to Scotland in the Disco Saturday morning................but at least I've got some 'fun' to look forward to when I get back !

Cheers,

Gavin.

Reply to
Embo

Nice place to come to, but then I'm biased! Check the oil cooler pipes from the filter housing to the radiator, they are notorious for leaking, landrover have "redesigned" them at least 2 or 3 times since their introduction because of leaks. Strangely enough, 300's seem more affected than 200's. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Cheers Badger !

I has hoping to get the Disco up to Scotland next week, but given this problem we may have to slum it in the Polo !

I don't seem to have much luck in the Landy / Scotland combination as last year when we went to Cambeltown the clutch slave went on my 110 and we had to limp home !

Maybe next year, unless this turns out to be an obvious fix !

Gavin.

Reply to
Embo

UPDATE ON PROBLEM

Arse - Turbo's fooked !

Luckily it looks like none of the bits have ended up in the engine, but the CAT's full of oil, so that'll need replacing as well !

Thanks for advice, think I'm going to drink myself to oblivion with whisky.......................if only I was going to Scotland....

Gavin.

Reply to
Embo

Embo uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Ah well , at least on the bright side you clocked it before it became terminal.

Sounds like an opportune moment to dump the cat and vist the fine purveyors of straight through pipes that is our very own Beamends.

Everyones a winner!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Mine was a leaking sump all aloang

Reply to
Nige

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I reckon we washed it too well :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D