On the way home tonight..........result!!

From Huddersfield to Bradford I pass by Cooper Bridge Scrapyard. I had an hour to spare, so I popped in to see if they had a RRC in. They did have one & it was nearly complete & in amazing condition. It has only done 35k & you really can tell, so I yanked out me tools & got to work, complete superb centre console, allsorts of trim that's falling to bits on mine, two interior lights, rear mat, rear carpets for the boot, wheel arches, window lift ecu, distributor, all in as new condition for £20!!!!! yes, £20.

I'm off back tomorrow morning for the full interior for £50!! whilst a bit mucky, its mint under the muck!

The best bit (hopefully) is it had a 35k 3.9 engine, gearbox & transfer box all warranted!

Main question, can it go in mine with too much bother? what would I need?

I thought it a good idea to buy them all in one & just sell mine on eBay or something

Mines an 89 3.5 RRC efi with flapper type air flow.

Theres still loads on it like alternator, aircon, tons. Thething that pissed me off (not that I need one) was the utterly mint headlining with sunroof (a bit rare I suppose) but they had lifted the thing up with a forklift & the front bits shagged, however, you could cut it!

Cheers

Nige

Reply to
Nige

nicely found well done

but wouldent it be better to just buy the whole motor from them then you can strip it at youre lesure see if bits fit BEFORE removing em and when youre done whatever bits are left you could store for future use or chuck em on eBay and make some money back...

just a thought..

Reply to
Shayne

Cant see the wife letting me have a very damaged RRC in the garden with no wheels etc!!!!! She moans like hell about this one!

Reply to
Nige

wheels etc!!!!! She moans like

Be sneaky, tell her the Lode Lane factory is going to Ford and these are the last valuable collectors items that should, maybe, possibly, with a little luck make you a very wealthy bloke. Then when she asks about that holiday in the sunshine you can plead that you are speculating in the market. By that time you should have all the bits you want, then you offer to get rid of it and you come up smelling roses. You can't lose.

Reply to
Hirsty's

You will just see some interesting engine and gearbox transplants!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I suspect that engines will be the least of the problem - lots and lots and lots of Rover V8s around, and very few totally dead ones - they can generally be made to work again if you're willing to put in the effort.

I can see the gearboxes being a bit more interesting.

What is it the 101s use? A modified LT77/85/Something else?

Ah well

Give it 10 years and all the oil will be gone and no natural gas will be available - you'll have a little accumulator on the car and a universal motor on each driven wheel.

Silent 101!

Except the rumble from the bargrips.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:13:52 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

LT95, ain't it? same as early RRs.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

with different bellhousing and input shaft.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Shorter bellhousing, IIRC. Main box same as 4-spd RR

Alex

Reply to
Alex

In news:3FQid.146$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net, Hirsty's blithered:

Hmm, someone's been there an done it!

Reply to
GbH

Yes, the engine is a straight swap, if both are auto then there's a good chance that the gearboxes are the same anyway. Transfer box should be a Borg Warner which is probably (but not necessarily) the same as the one you have.

The thing to watch with the engine is to make sure that, as well as getting all the parts (air flow meter, ECU etc...) you get the complete engine EFi harness out intact. Disconnect the harness from the ECU ( under the drivers seat), disconnect the multi way plug from the vehicles harness (just near the large grommet where the EFi harness goes through the bulkhead, in the drivers footwell. It's worth cutting the other half of that connector away from the vehicle's harness with a suitable tail on it as it has more connectors than the flapper one. Then you can feed the harness back into the engine bay, disconnect the earth wires from the battery and the harness will come out with the engine.

You'll also need the radiator, expansion bottle, ignition coil, power steering reservoir and don't forget the various brackets that hold these items on.

For simplicity, use your existing manifolds/exhaust. If the 3.9 exhaust has lambda sensors then take them with you so you can fit them to your exhaust (they are a metric thread (M12x1 IIRC) so you can buy a suitable nut to weld to your exhaust from Bradford Nut and Bolt.

If you want to use the gearbox and it is an auto then make sure you get the oil cooler and pipes as they are a larger bore than the 3.5 version.

Don't forget to grab the inertia switch (next to the ECU) and check for a speed sensor in the speedo cable.

When removing the engine/gearbox it is worth (assuming auto again) removing the transfer lever alloy bracket from the top of the gearbox - it has a nasty tendency to catch on the tunnel and shear off, replacements are about 60 quid !

That should do it !

cheers

Dave W. Yorkshire Off Road Club

Reply to
Dave White

On or around Sat, 6 Nov 2004 00:31:11 +0000 (UTC), Dave White enlightened us thusly:

You'll want the ECU an' all, since the 3.9 is a hotwire, it's not the same ECU. Just thought I'd make the point crystal clear.

you can do the swap, but you need pretty much everything from the air cleaner to the exhaust, including all the electronics.

I haven't looked into it in detail, but I imagine swapping my 3.5 hotwire in the disco for a 3.9 would be slightly easier, as most of the wiring etc. should already be there.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Bugger that then!

It was just a good deal, too much work to find its fecked!

I'll find a decent 3.5 from somewhere when it's needed! There's tons of them about.

Ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige

:-))))

backfired; now she wants a Discovery as a runabout. What next !

Reply to
Hirsty's

In news:VF1jd.150$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-win.ntli.net, Hirsty's blithered:

Hmm, might be wise not to ask!

Reply to
GbH

That being the case.... do you happen to know how much they wanted for the engine/gearbox ? Was it an auto ?

Reply to
Dave White

It was matey, the whole car was VERY tidy, so the indicated 35k is very probably right.

They wanted around £300, you could bargain maybe?

Ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige

We've been doing this for years already...

I doubt many landies will outlive the 101 though. Given there were only 2,664 made they have to be the rarest 'still on the road', even compared to the S1s and 2s.

Reply to
Mother

I may be tempted to sell my old one (need to get the transfer kit replaced, but that's not going to be a problem).

Reply to
Mother