ooops - urgent - why no rear lights?

1984 110v8. Rear lights stopped working this evening. All other lights work fine, no fuses blown - I'm stumped :-)

Any ideas before tomorrow morning? I'm currently travelling morning and night in darkness, so need to fix it somehow - even if I have to run a feed to the rear lights - where would the wires route that feed the lights?

--

swap z's in email address for the above

Reply to
danny

"danny" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@gazzia-esprezzo.com...

Same thing happened to me in my '82 Ruster, don't know if it's going to help you much since it's another car, but this is what I found: the wire loom that leads to the rear lights goes through the bodywork and is interrupted there by some connectors. These connectors developed bad contacts, probably since they're in the water spray from the rear wheels. Sorting out the contacts chased away the Prince of Darkness.

Good luck.

Reply to
aghasee

most likely cause is a poor earth. A separate cable run from the -ve terminal on the battery to the metal light surround should fix it.......possibly

Reply to
Howard

The wiring loom from front to rear goes inside the right hand side (drivers side in the UK) chassis member. If it's both rear tail lights I would doubt it's an earth as they earth seperately onto the back body afaik. It's most likely a break in the cable somewhere. Time to break out the multimeter and wiring diagram I think.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

If it's both sides, I'd assume a bad connection, as it's both sides the most likely place is the main rear wiring junction underneath the covering plate that sits on the RHS and covers the rear of the tail/ brake light.

The wiring loom goes into the RHS chassis rail from the bulkhead, runs inside the rail to the back where it emerges and goes up through the inner wheel arch into the area underneath the cover mentioned above. Inside there are a mass of bullet connectors that distribute the power to the lights on the RHS and those that then feed across to the LHS.

It's unlikely to be an earth problem as the two sides are earthed seperately.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Thanks for the replies, all.

Does it make a difference if I mention that I usually have a trailer connected, and that sometimes the trailer lights work erratically (a thing I've put down to dodgy connectors in the plug/socket)? I've been spraying switch cleaner and wd40 into the connector lately - can the connections in the trailer socket affect the vehicle lights?

--

swap z's in email address for the above

Reply to
danny

Is it just the tail lights, or is it the brake lights and indicators as well? The trailer wiring is usually just tapped off the normal feed to the rear lights so it could be the connections where the trailer has been spliced in. The RH and LH lights are normally on separate feeds and separate fuses just so that you are very unlikely to loose both at once - congratulations on achieving it! If you can give more specific info on which lights work and which don't, and when, it might be possible to analyse, but the "get the meter out" suggestion seem the best. I've got schematics if you need them.

Reply to
Bob Miller

If it is all rear lights, probably the earth point for the rear lights - make a duplicate one I suggest. JD

Reply to
JD

Twas Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:11:43 +0000 when danny put finger to keyboard producing:

I had this happen with my 1984 110 a few years ago, lost all light at the back but for fog and reverse, I drove home with the fog on.. :o(

I remember I rigged a feed from the front through the cab somehow but I don't remember how I fixed it.. it was a feed problem though.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Doesn't it annoy you when you are so near but due to time and other constraints you don't fix it and instead have to pay through the nose :)

I had a feeling that the problem was linked to the trailer socket wiring, but didn't see how this would stop the LR lights working, so today I got it booked into an autoelectrical place.

£82 later and one trailer socket, it's all working again.

I even had a new spare trailer socket > 1984 110v8. Rear lights stopped working this evening. All other lights