So what did you break this weekend? (stupid F£$% landrovers!)

Sunday night is time to reflect on what went wrong over the weekend, and curse that horrible lump of metal in the drive for not working as it should! why do we put up with them? :)

What went wrong on your landrover?

I went out early thismorning in my mates landy with a trailer to pick up my new car, and his diff blew up!. Spent a tiring day swapping axles over, as it shot some of its guts out through the axle casing. Never knew that could happen and be so violent!. an axle casing isnt a thin bit of metal. Coming to a dead grinding stop from 20mph in our road was pretty unpleasant, but atleast we were fortunate that it didnt happen later in the day while we were on the motorway with a loaded trailer.

I'm almost scared to get in my own landy now incase my diff blows up when im doing some speed. How common is it for diffs to go out in style like this? (make me feel less worried please!!)

I know i can't be the only one who hasnt had a good weekend! anybody else? Or does anybody have a nice success story to make me feel better? :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Well, mine refused to start on Saturday morning, so I had to walk to work.

As for diffs, they do blow with spectacular results, usually due to a tooth breaking and going through the diff, blowing the carrier or ring/pinion apart.

Keeping an eye on the oil level usually prevents such things.......

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Tom Hi,

Sorry to hear about it.

I guess the most frequent reason for a diff to go South (or North, West or East, anywhere apart from working OK) is related to either proper lubrication (low lever or deteriorated quality because of water/debris or simply not been timely changed) Another reason is having a part fail because of manufacturing defects or hard use.

But lubrication related issues are far more frequent and water contamination the most favourite one. At least here in Greece.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

SG: Cuz we luv em ;-))

Nothing as spectacular as your episode. In the afternoon I was getting ready to take my grandchildren home when I spotted one of the rear tyres was looking a bit flat. Out with the pressure gauge and sure enough ... 19 psi. Oh well, 10 minute job to put the spare on .... no chance. The adaptor won't stay on the locking nut so I can't undo it - hence my earlier post - so the kids have to walk home.

All part of life's rich tapestry ..

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Have to say, I had a great weekend - our club had an offroad training day organised for our relatively new members. We had about 20 vehicles attend (that's quite a few over here), and the day went without a hitch. Two people got punctures, but apart from that there was no damage.

We managed to cover everything from the basics of what four wheel drive, diffs, suspension, etc. are all about through descents, failed hill climb recovery, side-slopes, water, mud, winching and a lot more.

First couple of photos can be found here, if anyone's interested :

- Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

No footpump?

I've previously recommended the dual-cylinder own-brand pump from Halfords, but it seems to be on the verge of being discontinued. They're stocking pumps branded "Michelin" but I've no idea how good they are. The Halfords model had a proper sleeve where the piston rod enters the cylinder, which is where chep pumps usually fail.

Single-cylinder pumps, and the cheap electric ones, maybe can't handle a Land Rover tyre.

Reply to
David G. Bell

It had plenty of oil in when it came out, and it didnt look obviously watery or dirty. It looks like the bar in the centre that holds the 2 smallest gears has snapped. Wether or not this was before or after some of the other gears came off i dont know. Must just be one of those things :(

He now has a standard ratio diff in there (the one that blew up was a high ratio RR one). He's just come round complaining that the landy is too slow :) so it looks like we might be swapping the diff again for a new high ratio one...

Reply to
Tom Woods

Told you! That's why I took mine OFF!!

Neil

Neil Brownlee

For weeks now the rear lights have been failing with increasing regularity, usually blowing one of the fuses. On Saturday I replaced the n/s lights fuse and also the brake lights fuse (since I've been driving with the brake pedal feathered to at least keep some light at the back/trailer in darkness. Drove the landrover round to hook up the espresso trailer and the lights had fused before I even got there. Did the usual thing and feathered the brake lights until they fused as well, then I ran out of petrol! £6.00 for a cheap plastic petrol can (why won't they lend these with a deposit anymore!).

Spent Sunday looking for a wiring fault. Found bad earths to the front n/s side and headlights (causing the headlight to shine at 50% brightness and the sidelight to intermittently fail), couldn't find anything else wrong...apart from I cracked nearly every lens I touched with a screwdriver as they are so old and brittle - off to order a set of lenses now...

--

swap z's in email address for the above

Reply to
danny

David, even my electric pump wasn't making any headway with it. Anyway, I drove it the 200 (or so) metres to my favourite tyre emporium this morning and they whizzed the nuts of using the air gun - keeps the adaptor square to the nut - and sorted out the problem ... which was a stone between the tyre and the rim. How the hell it got there I have no idea but hey-ho problem solved ;-)

New locking wheel nuts are on order from Paddocks :-))

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

|| || What went wrong on your landrover? || ||

Nothing as bad as this, but I was helping set out a trial on Saturday and ripped off half the front spoiler on the RR while executing a 3-point turn next to a hidden log. Big question is: do I get out the rivet gun and cable-ties and fix it, or take the whole thing off and forget about it? The fog lights aren't much use anyway.

|| Or does anybody have a nice success story to make me feel better? :)

Well, Tiggrr got its first competitive outing, double-driven with me and the better half. I won't say how well or badly we did, but we can only get better from here onwards. So, no.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Don't want to state the obvious, but:

The high-ratio RR diff was paired with an identical one on the other axle, wasn't it? That could give you one very good reason for blowing it apart. I wouldn't mention it, but you are talking about swapping the "diff", rather than "diffs".

Oo-er. ;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Ernie started twice this weekend without recourse to a booster battery (but only just). He did try to kill me several times though, but I took it as a playful bid for attention.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Yeah - It was intially a matched pair of high ratio diffs, we aint that stupid! :) Since we wanted to effect a quick repair and only had spare normal ones about weve stuck a normal one on the back axle, and hes not going to use any 4WD. tis better to have 2WD than 0WD!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I worked at the local garage for 2 or 3 years while i was at college, and i used to sell fuel cans and then buy them back :). As far as i know the place still does. Tis the only attended service petrol station i know of anywhere near here now.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:51:37 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

hehe. now that's the sort of attitude I like.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Just checking ;-)

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Twas 27 Jan 2004 01:06:58 -0800 when snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Richard Brookman) put finger to keyboard producing:

I'm glad someone mentioned it, it's the kind of thing I'd do..

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:37:25 +0000, richard.watson enlightened us thusly:

that is indeed surprising. must look into it. is it rated for continuous use, or do you have to faff around waiting for it to cool down after 5 minutes?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Truck Airs are proper decent cooled motors which will run continuously. I got mine from Scorpion. I think they're about £60. If you ever anticipate lowering your tyre pressure, get one.

David

Reply to
David French